Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

What are my options for tyre size?

(1/2) > >>

gepabu:
Currently have 700c 28mm four seasons tyres on my Audax Mk3. I plan on doing some bike packing in europe for a week and would like some tyres which are more versatile so that I can go over gravel.

Is it possible to fit 32mm tyres to my bike and are there any recommendations for a tyre with a bit more tread?

Thank you

JohnR:
Thorn says you can fit 32mm tyres with mudguards on the Mk 3 Audax https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/495-for-55mm-forks-thorn-audax-mk3-r-frame-fork-set-green/ and then adds for the Mk 4 Audax that 35mm without mudguards will fit https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/500-thorn-audax-mk4-disc-frame-brg-imron/ which would make the 35mm Schwalbe G-One Allround tyres a possible option if you forego the mudguards.

gepabu:
Thank you!

My mud guards need replacing so I was planning on not using any, hoping I'll be alright in summer. Also saw the continental contacts as well, not sure if they're another good option?

PH:
Disc brake or caliper?
With calipers it's usually the arch of the brake that restricts tyre size rather than the fork clearance, the difference between that arch with and without a mudguard is a couple of mm.
if the only restriction is the fork crown, measure it, just take a tyre off and accurately measure the clearance, subtract what you think is a minimum clearance, 8mm for me, though I'd prefer 10 - 12. Then you have to hope the manufacturers claimed size has some relationship to reality, though they're more likely to come up small than big.

Also - use = gravel bikepacking - conjures up some vivid images, but they might be different ones for different people!  Are we talking light off road, or just short of technical single track? Racing around with minimal kit, or touring around but not quite touring?  Whatever it is, have fun. 

lewis noble:
I have an Audax Mk 3 - caliper brakes, I think it is only the Mk4 that has a disc option.

Original tyre fitment on mine was 32mm Supremes, with mudguards.  Yes, it worked, but the clearances were tighter than I was happy with; lots of chattering on poor surfaces with chips etc scraping between guards and tyre.  My personal view and experience.  I fitted 28mm., which are fine, but not available in Supremes.  On good tarmac surfaces, they were fine, but lots of poor tarmac in rural areas near where I live.

Without guards, I'm sure 32mm would be fine on a much wider range of surfaces.

Lewis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version