Author Topic: Schwalbe tire pressure guage  (Read 5809 times)

Matt2matt2002

Schwalbe tire pressure guage
« on: July 29, 2022, 05:23:20 pm »
Anyone have one of these?

It recently flashed up an '0.L' message

I popped in a new 2032 and it still flashed the same message

I does record/ show what I would believe to be a correct pressure but wondered what the 0.L means.

I have no instructions.

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

Re: Schwalbe tire pressure guage
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 05:41:33 pm »
I have a small meter used for something other than tire pressure that when I change batteries, I have to do a thorough wipe on the contacts in the meter before inserting the battery.  Any dirt or corrosion or film on the contacts and amperage may be limited and I can get a low battery warning, even with a brand new battery.

Try cleaning your contacts in the gauge, and while at it, wipe off the battery too.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 05:43:27 pm »
Thanks Mick. Will do.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 05:57:27 pm »
No luck Mick.
Contacts look good/ clean.
Strange....

Matt

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 04:31:46 pm »
I've got one of those gauges and,so far, it's behaved itself. The instructions at https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schwalbe/userupload/PDF/AirmaxPro.pdf say nothing about error messages.

Try turning it on and holding down the power button for 20 seconds to see if it forces a reset.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 07:09:39 pm »
Thanks John. I'm away from the ranch at the moment but will try your advice Monday.
I've had mine 3+ years and no issues.
Always thought it gave me accurate readings.

Best

Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 11:05:03 am »
Hi John, & folks.
No joy holding button to re set the guage.

Still showing 0.L on starting up.

I guess I'll live with it since it has a new battery in now.

Cheers for all suggestions.

Best

Matt

Mike Ayling

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 02:32:44 am »
Get an old fashioned mechanical gauge, Zefal used to make them!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 09:02:18 am »
Get an old fashioned mechanical gauge, Zefal used to make them!

Ha ha, yes. I have one of those.
Thanks.

Is this a case of new fangled technology not being quite as good as the ol'ways?

Best

Matt

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 12:48:53 pm »
I am getting ready for a trip, checking over my gear, charging up my NiMH batteries, etc.  The headlamp (for my head, not bike) that I have been using since 2016, when I push the button, one of two LEDs flash but does not stay on.  Press button several times and eventually one of those button pushes makes both lamps go on (only one should go on) and stay on.  Additional button presses and it won't turn off.

Ordered replacement headlamp yesterday.  I have several headlamps that take AAA bulbs but for backpacking where I am carrying AA batteries for my GPS I only want to carry AA batteries, not both AA and AAA.  The headlamp that went nutty and the replacement take one AA.

I do not expect cheap electronic stuff to have a long lifespan.

ADDENDUM:

Sorry I attached photos but no text for them, suddenly got busy so clicked on post.

Photo 1 - At home I use good quality pumps that have a good gauge, like my Silca pump.  I need a conversion chart since the gauge is so old that is is no longer in common units.

Photos 2 - Touring, I use either a Road Morph G or a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive with optional gauge.  Gauges are not very precise, but are good enough.

I bought a Toppeak electronic gauge over a decade ago.  The Shrader option worked well, but the Presta option lost too much air when getting a reading, so I rarely use it.  I have found that the Shrader option with a thread on Presta to Shrader adapter worked better than the Presta option.

I also at one time picked up one of these at a great used price, works pretty well.  I have the PR160BX
https://www.ghmeiser.com/product-category/bicycle-gauges/

But that little knob you have to unthread on the Presta stem, if you unthread it too far you lose too much air taking a reading with the Accugauge, if you do not unthread it enough it won't work.  Takes a little practice. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 05:29:32 pm by mickeg »

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 01:30:15 pm »
No joy holding button to re set the guage.

Still showing 0.L on starting up.

I guess I'll live with it since it has a new battery in now.
More thoughts: (a) Try another new battery - I'm wondering if the "L" is a low battery warning (which would explain why the pressure reading looks OK) and the new battery isn't as new as it should be; (b) Also clean the battery contacts as any oxidation will effectively reduce the battery voltage; and (c) ask Schwalbe UK customer service what the "L" means.

I do not expect cheap electronic stuff to have a long lifespan.
The solid state electronics are usually durable. The problem is oxidation (or similar chemical processes) of any mechanical contacts (eg for batteries and bulbs). More expensive equipment may use gold plating on connectors to reduce this problem. I often discover that when LED torches start to go dim then it's the battery contacts which cleaning.

PH

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 02:13:09 pm »
I have no idea, but now feel I need to know, I keep opening the thread with every new post, only to face disappointment. 
At least you just have an unknown letter, mine just stopped working.  It was fine when i put it away and completely dead the following week. Replaced with a SKS Airchecker, IMO a better tool in all regards, not least the swivel head making access to the valves on small wheel bikes easier.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 02:48:16 pm »
More thoughts: (a) Try another new battery - I'm wondering if the "L" is a low battery warning (which would explain why the pressure reading looks OK) and the new battery isn't as new as it should be;

After seeing the 'L'  I bought new batteries .
I have cleaned the contacts.
I have held down the button but it doesn't re set.
I've removed and replaced the battery.

Much appreciate folks thoughts.

Matt

steve216c

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 09:11:18 pm »
Perhaps your gauge has mutated??? O.L might just be a faulty letter I in the middle reminding you 5000km have passed and you need to change the Rohloff nectar in that hub of yours  :o
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 11:56:38 pm »
Perhaps your gauge has mutated??? O.L might just be a faulty letter I in the middle reminding you 5000km have passed and you need to change the Rohloff nectar in that hub of yours  :o
wow