Author Topic: Spyke TRP disk brake  (Read 2327 times)

KDean

Spyke TRP disk brake
« on: July 28, 2022, 08:44:06 pm »
I find it really difficult to see the pads on this set up when looking for wear & it's the only make I've seen where you have to take the wheel off to change the pads .Is there any other make I could use on my Nomad MK2 that makes visual inspection & maintenance easier .

PH

Re: Spyke TRP disk brake
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 08:54:55 am »
All the mechanical disc brakes I've had (Spyke, BB7, Paul Klamper) require wheel removal to change pads, I've never considered it a big deal, by the time I've worn a set of pads down the caliper (And rotor) are ready for a good clean. The TRP's are the worst for a quick visual check, I'm not sure that plastic cover serves much purpose.  I'm not a fan of TRP's brakes in general, the supposed benefit of two moving pads doesn't IME result in better braking and the complexity and miniaturisation to make that possible, compromises reliability.
On all my disc brake bikes except the folder, I've gone hydraulic. I hear the argument that they're not roadside fixable, but then neither is a TRP! I'm unlikely to ever be more than a taxi ride from a bike shop and if I were ever on that sort of trip I'd have chosen to use rim brakes.

KDean

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 03:53:37 pm »
I went through new pads in two day doing Lejog ( off road ) if it wasn't for the fact I could see the pads I wouldn't have known until it was too late . I'll into hydraulic , I think the  Spyke is poorly designed .

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 05:31:32 pm »
I am quite happy with my Spyre, I believe that is the same as the Spyke except different cable pull.  But I must admit that I have no other bicycle disc experience to compare my Spyre experience to.

I wanted better grip, I switched from the stock semi-metallic pads to resin pads, assuming that grip would be better and wear would be faster.  Grip was better but on a tall steep downhill, fade came on faster.  I have not worn out the first set of resin pads yet.  But I ride several different bikes so no single bike gets all of the wear.

The only time I have heard of people wearing out disc pads that fast is in cyclocross racing in mud, in which case the pads and rotor might be shot after one race.  Otherwise, I always hear of excellent pad life for recreational road (tarmac) riding.

PH

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 07:51:50 pm »
I went through new pads in two day doing Lejog ( off road ) if it wasn't for the fact I could see the pads I wouldn't have known until it was too late . I'll into hydraulic , I think the  Spyke is poorly designed .
One of the advantages of mechanicals is you feel the wear at the lever, although a visual is always useful, you should have a reasonable idea just by how far you're pulling the lever. 
Unlike hydraulics, where the pads self adjust and unless you're checking regularly have no idea of the wear rate.
I check mine each time I oil the chain, but my riding is such that I count the lifespan in months not days, I use sintered on the rear for longevity and resin on the front as they don't squeal and I prefer the bite (Or at least I think I do, I wouldn't put money on a blind test!)  Brake pads are one of those things I like a stock of, I use Discobrakes which have been the best I've tried, though admittedly it isn't a huge sample.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 08:07:25 pm by PH »

CycleTourer

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 01:16:14 pm »

This is definitely a fault with the pads, and not with the Spyke caliper. I have done tens of thousands of km now with my Spykes, generally in mountainous terrain (e.g. the Andes, the Balkans) and they have served me well. Right now I am riding with a pair of Chinese no-name resin pads and I notice they are wearing a little faster than name-brand pads, but we’re still talking over many hundreds of km.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 04:37:58 pm »
I;ve got several types of disc brakes including the Spyke and look along the edge of the brake rotor to check the clearances and can also see the pad thicknesses. The pads would need to be extremely soft to wear out in two days. Here's one of many guides to the pad types https://www.merlincycles.com/blog/buyers-guide-to-disc-brake-pads/ .