Author Topic: First impressions of my Mercury Mk 3  (Read 2686 times)

John Saxby

First impressions of my Mercury Mk 3
« on: June 17, 2022, 12:50:11 am »
In mid-May, I took delivery of my new gunmetal grey Mercury Mk 3.  Following are my notes on my first impressions of the bike after covering about 250 kms over the past few weeks.

First impression first, then.  As Marcia, my wife said, “Ooooh, what a finish!!”  And from a friend, after learning I’d named the bike “Freddie” (more on that below), “Freddie really is a handsome dude!”   #s1 and 2 below are early photos from our back yard.

The back story
To set the scene, some acknowledgments are in order.  Forum readers will recall Moronic’s detailed-and-delightful account of his new Mk 3 over the last six months of 2021.  Ian deserves a fair bit of the credit for my decision to purchase a Mercury, so I’m happy to thank him publicly for his compelling review of the bike.

That said, purchasing the Mercury was not an open-and-shut matter.  Sarah and Robin at SJSC have been patient and accommodating, and both professional and personable in managing what became a complicated order.  The simple thing would have been to purchase a complete bike.  But, Canadian duty on a complete imported bike is 13%; and to that figure, an additional 13% sales tax is applied.  The result is a total cost about 27% above SJSC’s list price.  Canadian policy effectively priced me out of buying a complete bike, so I decided to do what I did with my Raven – buy the heart of the bike from SJSC, and get it assembled here.

In early January, I asked Sarah if I could put my name on a waiting list for a Mercury Mk 3 frame, anticipating that one might be available in 18 months or so.  She said that SJSC still had some frames, and – lo! – it turned out that there was a gunmetal grey 550S that would fit me.  I ordered a large portion of a Mercury from SJSC – frameset and forks, built-up wheels, brakes, and some smaller parts.  I completed the kit with some items in my workshop – Brooks B17 Special, Shim UN55 bottom bracket, MTS Touring Lite pedals, Stronglight cranks, a Rivendell Bike Works alloy chainring, and a Connex chain.  From online sources I secured alloy mudguards and randonneur bars and a set of (soon-to-be-extinct?) 650B x 1.6 Marathon Supremes & XXlight tubes.  Then, as I’d done eight years ago, I asked Tall Tree Cycles here in town to assemble the bike.

The biggest “thank-you”, as always, goes to Marcia for her understanding and long tolerance of my two-wheeled obsessions.

And the last bit of the Back Story, naming my Mercury “Freddie”:  Informed and witty people, hearing that choice, said, “But of course -- that’s perfect!”  I can’t claim to know Queen’s music well, but I do have a longstanding soft spot in my heart for Zanzibar. (TANGENT ALERT!! An extended sidebar comment follows. Skip to the next section, if you wish.)  In December 1969, when I was but a tender and callow fellow teaching in northern Zambia, a friend and I hitched a ride to Dar-es-Salaam on an empty oil tanker returning to that city with a load of copper ingots.  From Dar, we took the ferry to Zanzibar, arriving late on a Saturday night.  As we disembarked, we were engulfed—almost overwhelmed--by the scent of cloves.  Zanzibar produced most of the world’s cloves at that time, and the clove-oil works was just down the pier from the ferry.  I had read some of Zanzibar’s history, but this was all a bit much for a country boy from rural Ontario. The combination of the crowded Old Town and its market, the demi-tasses of coffee divine, the fragrant night air and the pristine beaches -- I had to pinch myself discreetly, just to be sure I hadn’t died and gone to heaven.  There was a dark side, too, less publicized – this was just a few years after Karume had seized power, and we saw men grabbed off the street at night and bundled into unmarked black vans.

A decade later, I was lucky enough to work with a Zanzibari woman.  She was and is smart, organized, and beautiful, and she makes some of the best samosas—both baked and deep-fried—that I’ve ever tasted.  I once asked her if she’d ever thought of setting up her own business—her samosas were by far the best in town.  “You know, John,” she said, “I’ve thought about it, but decided against it.  If I set up a business, doing this would become a job, and I’d much rather just make my samosas for my family, friends and colleagues.  But thanks for the compliment anyway!”

So Freddie, y’see, unwittingly carries baggage that I quite enjoy.

Freddie on the road
I’ve managed several rides of three hours or so with Freddie over the past few weeks.  All have been in the immediate neighbourhood of Ottawa, and largely on the network of bike paths and secondary roads westward from the city, and across the river into the hills of Gatineau Park.  I’ve covered some 250 kms on varied terrain, including some decent hills.

The summary conclusion:  an outstanding bike – smooth, responsive, comfortable and stable.

In more detail:
   •  Freddie is noticeably if not radically lighter than my Raven with similar trim, by a kilo-plus (about three pounds).  I felt that difference immediately, carrying the Mercury upstairs from my basement workshop.
   •  The handling is quicker and the bike feels more responsive than the Raven, as one would expect with the shorter chainstays and lighter weight; but at the same time, sure-footed and stable.  I have yet to test Freddie in light-to-medium touring trim – I’m awaiting my Tubus Disco rear rack.  After that arrives—late June/early July?—I’ll do a mini-tour, a night or two away.
   •  I’m about a gear faster in the upper range on Freddie than I was on the Raven.  In the lower range—i.e., in hilly country—the numerical indicators are similar, but pedaling is noticeably easier, and I can maintain a better cadence.  A key consideration here is my current overall fitness and health:  I’ve been riding Freddie after a long winter with very little cardio-vascular training, and the osteoarthritis in my hips is becoming more serious.  As things stand, the OA will limit my daily mileage on any tour, even short ones.
   •  The one surprise is a pleasant one – the new Rohloff is much quieter than the one on my Raven when it was new.  So much so, that Freddie’s hub is as quiet as the one in my Raven after 18,000 kms.
   •  Our son-in-law, an electrical engineer, rode Freddie briefly, and came back glowing: “John,” he said, “I’ve never ridden such a bike.  The engineering is extraordinary!”
   •  All the components work well together, though truth be told, I can’t tell any difference between the rear disc brake and rear V-brake (with Koolstop dual-compound pads) on the Raven.  Maybe the performance will be different in the wet?
   •  I’ve made micro-adjustments during and after most of my rides.  I had transplanted a Deda CF seatpost from the Raven, but towards the end of a 3-hour ride, it started creaking on uphills under even my modest power.  Creakin’ called for tweakin’:  I switched out the Deda post for its Thorn alloy counterpart, and – voilŕ! – the creak vanished.  (The resulting peace of mind was worth the extra 5 ounces.)  The Deda had a very nice two-bolt adjuster for my Brooks, however, and finding the right setting for my Brooks B17 has taken more time than I expected.  Much the same has been true of the rando bars I bought from Velo Orange.  These are nominally unchanged from the ones I bought for the Raven eight years ago.  But, on measurement, they are slightly different, offering less flare on the lowers and less upward-and-inward “swoop” on the uppers.  I’ve added some gel padding to sorta-replicate what I had before – and asked Sarah, who happily bought my Raven, to let me know if she ever decided to change the bars.
   •  Lastly, with the shorter chainstays, my Hebie Chainglider didn’t quite “just bolt on, sir.”  Will post a separate note on that under the “Feedback on Chaingliders” topic.

Brief as they’ve been, then, I’ve enjoyed my rides with Freddie.  Unloaded, the Mercury is smoother and easier to ride than my ti-framed light-touring derailleur bike; and as noted, much more responsive than my Raven.  I hope to have a better sense of its touring qualities in a few weeks’ time. 

Part of the reason I’ve enjoyed my rides is the early arrival of summer in the Ottawa Valley.  We had a cool-damp-late spring, complete with a light snowfall in late April; and then that was followed by a weeklong heatwave in mid-May.  By the end of May, all-of-a-sudden we had a full mid-summer canopy in the woods.  It was sublime for cycling – just Freddie and me, with the sun-dappled bikepath, the full foliage and the birdsong (see photo #3 below). #4 shows the fresh green foliage and yer standard-issue lake in the Canadian Shield.

More to come as we cover more ground.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 12:55:42 am by John Saxby »

Andre Jute

Re: First impressions of my Mercury Mk 3
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 09:18:46 am »
Your son-in-law and your friends are right, Freddie is a really good-looking bike, especially the retro-touches like the gunmetal (last seen on the Austin-Healey 3000) and the brightly polished bare metal mudguards. Love it.

Man, I was wondering when Pink Lake would show up again. And you're so right about Zanzibar -- give or take a few nasty dictators and slave traders, it's another magical place.

"The biggest “thank-you”, as always, goes to Marcia for her understanding and long tolerance of my two-wheeled obsessions." To channel Inspector Harry Callahan of the San francisco Police Department, "A man should know who cooks his dinner."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:11:20 pm by Andre Jute »

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 02:16:03 pm »
Thanks, Andre.

Yes, that gunmetal grey looks the business, and--like the raven--I was always a sucker for shiny silver bits.

There are--as always--a few other details.  Unlike Insp Callahan, I'm the chief cook in our household, but I know what you mean.

In Zanzibar, we stayed in a small guesthouse in the Old Town, and one of the rooms had a huge rusty rusty eyebolt sunk deep into the stone wall, about 18" off the floor. Attached to that was an equally rusty 6" iron ring.  Sobering stuff.

We returned to Dar on Christmas Day 1969.  No ferry for us, though:  We booked passage on a dhow for the 60-km journey.  As luck would have it, we were becalmed just beyond the harbour bar for most of the day. So we spent that day drinking tea beneath a welcome awning. As dusk approached, the wind picked up, and we covered the short distance to Dar in just a few hours.  I still recall the dhow heeling over as we rounded the marker buoy into the harbour at a great rate. Magical.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 07:51:45 pm »
So happy for you.
Lovely pictures.

I'm a little confused re your location.
Canada or Zanzibar?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 08:38:12 pm »
I'm a little confused re your location.
Canada or Zanzibar?
Wandering off topic but those photos are definitely not Zanzibar which just happens to be a source of fond memories of earlier times. I've not been there but have spent time in Tanzania (with not such fond memories of sweating during power cuts).

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 09:48:42 pm »
Thanks, Matt and John.

Yes, Zanzibar is definitely on the "memory" side -- vivid, to be sure, but I last visited in the 1980s.  My Zanzibari/Canadian colleague lives in Ottawa, though.

John, your experience with the 'glider was very helpful when I was fitting mine to my Mercury. Will complete the post on that in due course.

Cheers,  J.

PH

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 12:17:09 am »
Nice first impressions John, glad you're enjoying it.
People who haven't seen the grey finish might not appreciate how lush it is, until I saw it I was going for a blue frame, I know they're all the same paint, but the other colours don't seem to have the depth of the grey.  It's surprisingly tough as well.
Yes, disc brakes* in the dry aren't much different to well set up V's, the difference is they're not so effected by the wet.

I ought to get around to doing a proper review of mine, it took me a while to work out where it best fitted with the riding I do, which ended up not being where I expected. 

* Not wishing to teach anyone about egg sucking - new disk pads need bedding in, plenty on online advise such as below (First google hit I haven't thoroughly read it) if you don't do this they develop a glaze (Someone might be along with the proper term) and they'll never be as good as they could be.
https://fitwerx.com/weak-braking-bed-bicycle-disc-brakes/

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 02:39:32 am »
Useful advice on the rear disc -- thanks!

The piece in the link was well-written and clear, tho' it didn't have much  on why the "glazing" happens.

There's nothing wrong with my rear brake -- it works just like a well-set-up V-brake, no squeals, etc.  (Thus meets my criterion of cycling excellence -- it works, and I don't think about it.)  I haven't given the rear brake any special attention -- use it together with the front brake most of the time -- but I'm planning ride on Sunday AM, so I'll be a bit more deliberate then.

Would welcome reading your own reflections on your Mercury, too.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 12:29:55 pm »
   •  The one surprise is a pleasant one – the new Rohloff is much quieter than the one on my Raven when it was new.  So much so, that Freddie’s hub is as quiet as the one in my Raven after 18,000 kms.
The Rohloff on my Mercury was noticeably quieter from the start compared to the Rohloff on an aluminium-framed bike I had been riding. I had assumed that this represented improvement with more recent production but then discovered after moving the noisier Rohloff from the aluminium frame to a steel frame that it instantly became quieter. I appreciate that the Raven is steel but wonder if subtle differences in the tubing used in the stays between different bikes have different abilities to amplify and transmit any hub noise. My newest Rohloff (3xxxxxx numbering) is on a Birdy (aluminium) and relatively noisy but also hasn't done many miles.

IIRC you were planning to fit the Chainglider on a 41T chainring. If so, I'll be interested in the outcome as I'm considering the slight reduction in gearing provided by 41T instead of 42T.

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 08:59:07 am »
Great to read that your early impressions have been so positive, John. Given that you had two very good bikes already, I'd resisted assuming that the Mercury would satisfy as a replacement for both. Even though I had suggested to you offline that it might.

Love the quote from your son in law.

I look forward to your further impressions on how the Mercury handles a load.

On the brakes, I've grown to like the mechanical rear disk for its uncomplicated nature, even though its performance all round is probably inferior to a well adjusted rim brake. I think it is harder to modulate accurately near the limit of grip than a good rim brake. Recently I sought to adust my speed marginally while making a fairly rapid turn from a downhill gravel path onto a concrete bridge, and was surprised to lock the rear wheel twice - lock, release, and lock again from a second squeeze. As each lock required me to steer into the skid for balance, I came uncomfortably close to the steel tube wall of the bridge as I completed the turn. I've been leaving myself more margin for error since.
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 10:45:12 am »
On the brakes, I've grown to like the mechanical rear disk for its uncomplicated nature, even though its performance all round is probably inferior to a well adjusted rim brake. I think it is harder to modulate accurately near the limit of grip than a good rim brake. Recently I sought to adust my speed marginally while making a fairly rapid turn from a downhill gravel path onto a concrete bridge, and was surprised to lock the rear wheel twice - lock, release, and lock again from a second squeeze. As each lock required me to steer into the skid for balance, I came uncomfortably close to the steel tube wall of the bridge as I completed the turn. I've been leaving myself more margin for error since.
This, I suspect, is one of the consequences of a bike designed to carry a load and having the more powerful brake on the back. Any braking temporarily moves the centre of gravity forwards and going downhill increases this shift. 20kg of baggage will keep some weight on the back wheel but when it's only the rider then the front brake needs to do much of the work as the lightly loaded back wheel is more prone to skidding. However, given the choice, I prefer to have the rear wheel skidding than the front one.

When learning to ride a bike I was told to go easy on the front brake to reduce the risk of going over the handlebars. It's taken me a long time to reprogram my brain into realising that the advice related to a much more upright seating position than I now use and be more aggressive in the use of the front brake. I wanted disc brakes all round so my Mercury has the disc brake forks which adds significantly to the weight. The bike I'm using at the moment has carbon forks (with disc brake) which wouldn't be any good for carrying a load but for unladen use provides modest weight and good stopping power. Steel rim brake forks may improve comfort at the expense of reliable stopping power in all conditions.

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 01:20:35 pm »
This, I suspect, is one of the consequences of a bike designed to carry a load and having the more powerful brake on the back.

That's not the way it manifested. Lever effort isn't much lower than for the rim brake up front. I've plenty of experience using both brakes on the Mercury, and on a road-going motorcycle I rarely touch the rear brake - to the point where I've replaced the front disc rotors twice on my 70,000 mile Ducati but the original rear pads are still in there.

I wasn't trying to lose much speed - it was essentially a gentle steering correction I was looking for, hence the choice of rear brake. It's a question of precision rather than power I think.
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

PH

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 01:35:32 pm »
I think it is harder to modulate accurately near the limit of grip than a good rim brake.
I haven't found this, though there's so many variables there's no reason we should have the same experiences, I find the modulation of V's and mech discs to be very similar.  The only time I've frequently locked the rear wheel was using short arm V's with long pull levers, lots of force, no modulation, though changing the levers resulted in in the opposite, it was a short lived experiment! My favorite rim brakes are mid profile cantis, I have a Paul Component Touring on my drop bar bike and for a while had some IRC's on the Mercury's predecessor, I prefer them to V's in every regard except maintenance, they're not fit and forget and I wouldn't want them on a high mileage bike.  The big step up IMO is hydraulics*, all my discs other than on the folder, are now hydros, I understand the arguments about roadside repairs, but I'm unlikely to be in a situation where that's an issue (I'd be using V brakes if I was). The feel and predictability is unmatched by any mechanical brake I've had and the self adjustment adds a level of consistency without re-setting.

* This may also be true of rim hydraulics, though my experience of those is limited.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 01:41:59 pm by PH »

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 02:25:33 am »
I have experience of the common sort of rim brakes from V-brakes forward, until about twenty years ago when I asked the simple question: Do bicycle brakes really need to be adjusted and maintained so bloody often? Since then I've tried non-disc hub brakes (the so-called roller brakes) and disc brakes, which are both powerful but basically on-off switches with not a whole lot of modulation. Besides both requiring a goodly amount of maintenance (roller brakes must have a particular type of grease squirted into the works or they stop working and reward you with a face-plant for your neglect), the mechanical disc brakes I tried, all from Shimano, ate pads at a rate of knots. None of this was the minimum-maintenance solution I was seeking. It was expensive and time-consuming and irritating to have to pay attention to my bike's brakes every time i wanted to use them. As you can see, I wasn't matching Paul's experience with his hydraulic disc brakes...

The big step up IMO is hydraulics*, all my discs other than on the folder, are now hydros, I understand the arguments about roadside repairs, but I'm unlikely to be in a situation where that's an issue (I'd be using V brakes if I was). The feel and predictability is unmatched by any mechanical brake I've had and the self adjustment adds a level of consistency without re-setting.

* This may also be true of rim hydraulics, though my experience of those is limited.

I can help you there, Paul. Magura's Rim Hydraulic Brakes can be made as progressive as you like, require zero maintenance (they're come sealed for life), they are exceedingly economical with brake blocks (I got 8500km on a set of blocks, which for me is already a red letter day) as long as you use Magura's own blocks. The only downside is that, like traditional rim brakes, they wear the rim so that eventually the wheel has to be rebuilt in a new rim. In my opinion, they leave the mechanical disc brakes I tried for dead on every parameter of importance to me, and they're not even expensive though the cost doesn't matter to me for such a permanent installation. I've been happy for over twelve years now with Magura rim hydraulics, feeling no need for further experiment.

Among the things that you can do to arrange the initial bite and progression of force, and the multiplication of force between the handlebars and the brake blocks, is to choose among the models Magura offers, change the length of the brake levers for a different leverage, and fitting or leaving off a "brake booster" which is a U-shaped piece of flat metal you bolt on behind the calipers to stiffen the fork against braking torque. (Roller brakes, mentioned above, have a torque arm which bolts to disc brake mounts; it does the same job but you can't leave it off to gain control over the braking force.) There are also different types of brake blocks available from Magura, four or five in all, I think, and in the aftermarket. I find the base level (black) of Magura's own supply the best all-rounder -- I gave the others that I bought to try to a fellow I met on the road, and he called some weeks later to say the racing blocks were suitable to purpose ("fantastic") but I was right, the black blocks are great for just riding down to college in all weathers. Unless you're a racer, I suggest the basic Magura -11 or -33 (the same size caliper but the -11 is prettier and the generally all-black -33 comes with the booster in the kit -- in earlier times the numbers indicated a difference in caliper size) as the best allround choice in the line-up of Magura hydraulic rim brakes. Don't bother buying the rebuilding kit -- I bought it and still have it, intact, after over twelve years. and do not foresee using it any time soon; it's comforting to know the Magura Rim Hydraulics can be rebuilt, but it's an irrelevant safety blanket.

My Gazelle Toulouse, which was sold as a sporting commuter or vacation bike to the Dutch, has a mechanical disc brake in front (overpowered, sudden, nasty, tiresome in its appetite for pads and maintenance) and a low-level roller brake in the rear. This is from the IM-40 series of roller brakes and is pretty near useless in the dry on smooth tarmac; my remarks about very strong roller brakes refer to the much more modern and expensive -75 series on my Trek Smover, another sporting tourer, which has them front and back, and those are real stoppers which will throw you over the handlebars unless you pay attention to your braking. But powerful disc front/near-useless roller back has a huge advantage in the wet, when together they give the cyclist a sort of ABS (anti-blocker braking), in which you pay attention to not losing the front wheel and taking a fall, and any level of pressure on the rear lever just magically keeps it in line under you, instead of trying to overtake the front. Here in Ireland, which is the green and beloved isle because it rains a lot, and then a lot more, and I bet in Wales and Yorkshire too, that is an invaluable asset to someone who cycles as a social occasion with people who want to carry on conversations, and who even when cycling alone doesn't want to have to pay attention to the machinery under him. The combination doesn't quite make the front disc docile in dry conditions but it goes some way towards that as well when you ride on loose gravel or, worse, unpredictably cross patches of loose gravel in corners, a sadly common occurrence in my beloved lanes.

I should be very interested in whether John Saxby finds an advantage in his novel arrangement -- very different to my Toulouse -- of disc brake rear and rim brake front.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 09:11:42 am »
Another factor in braking performance is the tyre. For example, Schwalbe show the G-One Speed as OK for gravel but there's minimal tread on the tyre. They might be happier on pure gravel but struggle on a thin layer of loose gravel over a hard surface where the gravel can move easily. On my regular circuits I know where such gravel may collect. One place is at the bottom of a substantial hill just before a road junction where braking is needed. Fortunately there's no bend to add to the hazard. Tyres with more grip for such conditions don't roll so sweetly on tarmac but I consider that to be a necessary compromise for winter conditions with the higher probability of muck on the roads. I've been using Panaracer Gravelking SK tyres during the past two winters but may get the G-One Allround to see if they are a better compromise.