Author Topic: Bongs For Steve: A Memoir - well, it's really a novel, and mine  (Read 2161 times)

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
Forum members who have enjoyed the owner's review of my Thorn Mercury and subsequent tour reports might find some pleasure in my forthcoming novel, titled Bongs For Steve: A Memoir.

While it is open to browsers to infer that this is the author's memoir, in fact it is the memoir of a burnt-out sub-editor who has spent the past 22 years slogging away on a chain of free local newspapers.

Narrator Seamus Cullen discusses his professional life briefly in the prologue and at greater length in Chapter 10 (of 12). Mainly what he recalls is his prior life as a university drop-out and would-be author, and the conversations he engaged in then with good friends who would ply him with cannabis.

He reconstructs these sessions because he wants to reinhabit their moods. His employer has placed him on long leave, over his persistent absenteeism and questionable sobriety. A counsellor has suggested he immerse himself in memories from years when he was much more content. At first partly from spite, he immerses himself in these occasions of intoxicated abandonment from his 20s and since, acknowledging as he rebuilds them that he is claiming authenticity only for their emotional content.

Bongs For Steve is on presale with Amazon as an ebook, and may be accompanied by an audiobook soon after it goes live. I've supplied a very short excerpt on the citation page - Amazon's look-inside feature doesn't activate on presale listings. Requests for brief excerpts here will be entertained. Here is a link to the Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

Advance copies are available on PDF for reviewers with a relevant platform. Feel free to suggest people whom I might approach - I know that many here are well connected. ;)

It is normal for people to wonder how accurately first person fiction follows the experiences of the author. I will say that I can write from experience about sub-editing on free newspapers, and that my production experience on magazines, newspapers and related websites is much broader than Mr Cullen's.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 02:37:24 am by Moronic »
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

Andre Jute

Re: Bongs For Steve: A Memoir - well, it's really a novel, and mine
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:20:36 pm »
Congratulations and I hope you sell a bomb. I'll give you one piece of advice, given to me by William Goldman: On to the next. Bill already knew, as I do now, that the second novel is what defines a novelist. The first shows you can do it, the second demonstrates you have more ideas, the third that you can make a profession of it.

Besides Amazon, you should join D2D,
https://www.draft2digital.com
which distributes ebooks to all kinds of big platforms and have super layout and makeup software online for free use by writers, and Indie Authors International,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/160213917377540
(click on the avocado -- no, really) which the late Gordon Ryan and I founded about a dozen years ago to give writers from around the world a platform where they couldn't be hounded by the harpies on Amazon. I operate IAI, which has just short of 30,000 members, and daily turn down about five applicants for membership for every one I let in, so it's only authors and readers and very few idiots who can't even spell, never mind construct a proper sentence, but nonetheless want to sell writers editorial services.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 07:08:53 pm by Andre Jute »

PH

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 10:19:15 am »
Good luck with that, in the modern world (Maybe always so) successful publishing does seem to be a lottery.  Though I have no experience beyond that of a reader.  But, what an achievement to have written it!

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 02:33:51 pm »
Well done, Ian!

I'll look forward to finding and reading.  Smalltown papers 'n' such, eh?  Not so many, any more  :(.  When I was a youngster near Peterborough (Ont.), the local paper, the Examiner, had a good rep, and readers attributed that to the editor.  I was too ignorant to understand why, and the penny dropped only some years later.  'Twas a fellow named Robertson Davies.

Cheers,  John

in4

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 02:39:45 pm »
Absolutely. Writing to a publizshabel standard is a commendable feat. 😉 An acquaintance self published a first novel and, by dark arts unknown to me, got it on some Amazon best/ favourite list. Additionally, both twitter and fb were used to generate interest and I presume sales. Whether the books ascent in the popularity stakes was based upon its merits or jiggery-pokery I know not. I’m suspicious that I appeared in the book as a not entirely sober character. Surely not ! 😂

Moronic

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 03:57:46 am »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes - they are much appreciated. Yes PH, it does feel like an achievement. It's been a 12-year project, and not so much the writing of it - the whole thing only took a few years to get the initial draft. The rest of the time was understanding what I was trying to do: working out how fiction happens if it is going to be engaging for readers.

I knew a lot about this in theory, because the 12-year project has just been about this book. The fiction project as a whole has been a whole adult life project, really. Except that I spent a lot of that life thinking of it as an escapist fantasy. But I'd read a lot about writing, and studied fiction in my 20s under the Australian author Gerald Murnane - who is enjoying a fair bit of recognition internationally now for his novel The Plains but that appreciation has been a long time coming. He had published it before I was studying with him - which was 35 years ago - and I still have not read it. I know he was disappointed then with how his publisher at the time had promoted it. Something that has informed my decision to self-publish mine, in much happier times for self-publishers (even if the new technology has crowded the market with junk).

So it feels fantastic to have got the book together, and especially because I am happy with it. In that sense - and it's a strong sense - the book is successful already. I'm not publishing it to find out whether I'm good. I'm good enough, in my own way. Which is very unlike Murnane's way. And I know that some readers will get a big kick out of reading the book, and others will wonder why anyone bothered producing it.

John I had to look up Robertson Davies. Now I might have to read some of his stuff. Yes, the right editor can transform a newspaper - and from the outside that looks almost effortless. As a reader, you start to appreciate the difference that editor made after the editor moves on. Unless you were a reader before he or she arrived.

I'm actually not prolific or dedicated to productivity. There is no way I could have edited a newspaper and produced novels at the same time, like Davies apparently did. And like many others do, at least analogously. After a day at work on a newspaper I would just want to get home and relax. Usually over a drink. I can look at that another way and say that if I have an engaging job - and I've been lucky enough to have those over most of my working life - then my creative energies tend to go into that. A fair bit of Bongs for Steve was drafted when I was working part-time, but for a lot of it I had found ways to set up dedicated time.

Andre you make it sound as though Goldman had been captured by the fallacy that what seemed true to him actually was true of others. It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall if he had offered that bromide to Harper Lee or JD Salinger. But I imagine he was just being encouraging - offering from his experience the possibility that a lukewarm debut could be built on. If at first you don't succeed, etc. Talent is not enough; perseverance is everything. Which assumes a certain sort of point for the persevering: he was a driven man and wanted to build a career. Which he did. I learned about him from a book I read years ago about screenwriters, for which he was interviewed and as I recall it he gave a generous interview. If you knew him well, I imagine he was an interesting man to know. And it sounds like you have a story of your own here about publishing - am I wrong? I had thought that after a rich professional life you had dedicated yourself only to painting.

I think for me in many respects Bongs for Steve is my gift to the social world - a world that has given me an adult life about 50 times more entertaining than I had thought it would be as I lived through my teens. To a significant extent even its self-publication as an ebook fulfils my ambition - or at least, my ambition when I conceived of the project about the age of 20, which was then just a project about writing a decent book. I wondered whether that might be possible for me, as I bumbled about wondering why I had dropped out of uni. It looked like an experiment - the endeavour - that might have made life feel like it was worth living. Indeed it has, and however Bongs is received the experiment has returned a result and it's a result that has pleased me.

Thanks very much for offering those resources: I will certainly apply to the Facebook group, and I value your invitation to it. I've had good personal reasons for avoiding Facebook in the past but I suspect a good proportion of the people who might enjoy the book are of Facebook age and so I'll set up a page for it and go from there. That might take a few days.

Oh, and as it happens my life as an author looks like surviving the publication of Bongs. I have a sequel in draft and it's well on the way. Having spent 12 years developing the relevant skills, I can focus mainly on the writing with this one - and so I am believing its production will run much more smoothly. We'll see.

in4 yes I'll do some promotion in the run to go-live and afterwards. Self-promotion doesn't come easily to me and so this is a challenge. The most obvious place to find readers who would love the book is within cannabis culture, and there is plenty of that online. First-readers (the people you ask to criticise drafts for you over the writing process) have pointed out that the book runs much deeper than its title might suggest, and have objected to the title on those grounds. That's true, but it's also true that its treatment of cannabis culture won't be found elsewhere. So I think the hunger for it might be strongest among people to whom the title appeals.
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 02:20:00 pm »
I had thought that after a rich professional life you had dedicated yourself only to painting.

You can find some of my 70 odd books in over 500 editions at
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejute.html

Moronic

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 05:59:02 am »
Bloody hell Andre those are a lot of words. Even just on the website.  ;)

I'll be taking a more measured approach to the craft.  :D

Moronic

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 03:33:55 am »
Just a heads-up that Bongs For Steve is now live on sale online at Amazon.

For those who happen to see this today, it will be free all day Saturday 6 London time. Since at this point it's an ebook only, it costs only a cup of coffee or two at other times. Link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

So far I've had gushing appreciation from one source that was referenced to Chapter 5, which they had just finished reading. It's nice for me to think of how much pleasure they've got coming, if they enjoyed that so much.  :D