Author Topic: New (old) bike help required  (Read 10662 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: New (old) bike help required
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2022, 05:41:39 pm »
I quite like the canti brakes , and I like the look

I have a couple of bikes in the garden with with v brakes so thought I would try them as I needed some brake levers after taking everything off the drop bars . They seem to work ok temporarily

ourclarioncall

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 05:46:17 pm »
While I’m doing this work I was wondering if it would be a good time to treat any rust

Or to clean up the inside of the head tube ? Is that what is called? The bit the fork goes through

Should I put any kind of oil or grease or wax inside this tube to protect it from future rust ?

Also I thought I read not to put any grease on the fork , well the bit that the stem attaches too as I could slip off and be dangerous ? Think I read that in Thorn literature a long time ago

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2022, 06:00:09 pm »
I think I will just continue to spend money lol
Good news! ;D If you do enough of this, eventually the bits can be transferred to a new frame and the old one sold on (or kept...can never have too many. n+1). Even if the new frame is for a Rohloff drivetrain, the other things can be swapped.

I have a number of bikes and they have now formed a sort of food chain. When I improve one, the "other children" get the hand-me-downs so in effect upgrading one upgrades the others as well.

So pleased to find you've got a bike to actually start playing with. It is grand learning experience in every sense, often as much fun as the actual riding!

I was wondering if it would be a good time to treat any rust
It is never too early to treat it. If left, it it can become too late.
Or to clean up the inside of the head tube ? Is that what is called? The bit the fork goes through
Yep. Much easier while the bike is apart.
Should I put any kind of oil or grease or wax inside this tube to protect it from future rust ?
I would. Automobile panel cavity spray (like Waxoyl) or bicycle-specific Framesaver are good. Or you could go old school and boil linseed oil and pour in the vent holes (horribly messy and can clog threads) or straighten a coat hanger and form a small loop to hold an oil-soaked rag you can swab up and down inside the main tubes. All worked back in the day but the modern sprays are much more convenient and ultimately more effective, requiring less retreatment.
Also I thought I read not to put any grease on the fork , well the bit that the stem attaches too as I could slip off and be dangerous ? Think I read that in Thorn literature a long time ago
Yes, that was the word. I sprayed on and wiped off some Boeshield and have had no problems and no rust on the paintless steerer to date. The current Thorn fork steerers have an ED treatment that prevents rust.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2022, 08:29:48 pm »
I think the only thing I didn’t get was a new headset , as I didn’t know much about them . I’ve watched a few videos on installation and removal of headsets

I see you need special tools or can diy it with other methods .

Just wondering which kind to get , and also their longevity and do they wear out or parts need replacing over time ?

The one I’ve got might be fine …. But it’s not black is it ?! 😄😄

If it works, keep it.  But be careful if you disassemble things that you remember what order what parts go together in what orientation.

I do not know if that is the Orbit XL or not.  If it is, the attached may be applicable.  I do not know why I have two versions of graphics, attached both.  Third attachment is a photo of my headset parts in order without the frame, if I travel with the fork out of the frame this is how I store all those parts.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2022, 05:30:15 pm »
Ok, so just drilled out my rims and filed them for schrader valves .

Away to see if I can get my rims trued up at Halfords and get some new schrader inner tubes

I want to get new tyres but not sure what to get

I like the 1.75 ones that are on but feel a bit cautious with them. I don’t know what it is , if it’s because the frame is shorter, or I’m higher up , or it’s the tyre or it’s the tyre pressure or it’s the tyre width …… but every time I turn the front wheel it feels like the wheel could easily slip on small stones /gravel ? That you find everywhere on roads and paths. Or it just feels unstable or I’m not in control . I’m scared to lean into corners .

I don’t know what my tyre pressure is but might try and get one of those things that tells you.

The front tyre feels very soft and spongy and bouncy which I quite like but maybe it’s causing some of the issue . Maybe the sidewalks are not firm and stable enough? Hmm

On the topic of tyre this site is pretty interesting

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-2015

I’m just looking for a good all round tyre for roads /pavement /trails etc. Grip and puncture protection would be priority’s but ultimately safety first . I would rather have a tyre that is going to grip the road well .

ourclarioncall

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2022, 05:32:24 pm »
Dan

Thanks for the info 👍 I love the detail 🙂

One of my friends said whatever i do don’t throw out the drop bars I just took off , so he will be getting them in the post 😄

ourclarioncall

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2022, 05:34:53 pm »
I think the only thing I didn’t get was a new headset , as I didn’t know much about them . I’ve watched a few videos on installation and removal of headsets

I see you need special tools or can diy it with other methods .

Just wondering which kind to get , and also their longevity and do they wear out or parts need replacing over time ?

The one I’ve got might be fine …. But it’s not black is it ?! 😄😄

If it works, keep it.  But be careful if you disassemble things that you remember what order what parts go together in what orientation.

I do not know if that is the Orbit XL or not.  If it is, the attached may be applicable.  I do not know why I have two versions of graphics, attached both.  Third attachment is a photo of my headset parts in order without the frame, if I travel with the fork out of the frame this is how I store all those parts.

Thanks , yeah I’ve started taking photos and video at times when I work in the bike for reference

I believe it is an orbit XL 2 headset that’s on the bike now

Prince of Darkness

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2022, 03:02:04 pm »
Just a little note on internal rust treatments. Only the head tube, seat tube and bottom bracket on the frame and the steerer tube on the forks would need treated. This being a fillet brazed frame, all the other main tubes and stays are sealed. Thorn even went so far as to use bottle bosses that have closed ends to their threads, so that nothing can get in or out of the tubes 8)

ourclarioncall

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2022, 06:52:52 pm »
Just a little note on internal rust treatments. Only the head tube, seat tube and bottom bracket on the frame and the steerer tube on the forks would need treated. This being a fillet brazed frame, all the other main tubes and stays are sealed. Thorn even went so far as to use bottle bosses that have closed ends to their threads, so that nothing can get in or out of the tubes 8)

Ah , nice one 🙂

I was actually just mentioning to a YouTube that I knew some of the tubes were sealed , but I was concerned that moisture could have crept into these sealed tubes via the bottle boss screws . But now you have enlightened me I can rest 😄 I was just thinking about how I could treat potential rust inside but now I don’t have to . Thankyou for that golden piece of info 👍

mickeg

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2022, 08:43:12 pm »
I was actually just mentioning to a YouTube that I knew some of the tubes were sealed , but I was concerned that moisture could have crept into these sealed tubes via the bottle boss screws . But now you have enlightened me I can rest 😄 I was just thinking about how I could treat potential rust inside but now I don’t have to . Thankyou for that golden piece of info 👍

A friend of mine that volunteers time as a bike mechanic at a charity is convinced that capilary action can draw water into the downtube through the water bottle cage bolt holes.  If that frame has not been out in the rain for years, anything that has happened will have already happened.  For the future if you put some grease on your cage bolts, that might help seal the threads against most of any future water passage.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2022, 12:07:56 am »

A friend of mine that volunteers time as a bike mechanic at a charity is convinced that capilary action can draw water into the downtube through the water bottle cage bolt holes.  If that frame has not been out in the rain for years, anything that has happened will have already happened.  For the future if you put some grease on your cage bolts, that might help seal the threads against most of any future water passage.

Yeah, it sounds believable. Stuff has a way of getting into places !

Thanks , will get some grease on them bolts

Saying that , IF this is the EXP I have , I read in the old Thorn literature that it has a “drain plug “ on the bottom bracket so that any moisture /condensation can escape and in theory the seat tube will never develop rust . Well, they mentioned putting waxol ? Or something wax sounding in the seat tube

I’m not sure how this drain plug thing is supposed to work . If I’m correct it just looks like there a bolt screwed into the bottom bracket . Is the bolt supposed to be removed to allow moisture out ? Either permanently take out or occasionaly taken out and replaced ? Or would moisture still drain out even tho the bolt is screwed in ?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2022, 09:52:47 am »
Can we see a picture of your ' drain plug '.
Reduced size picture works here.
It's not one of the bolts for adjusting the EBB?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2022, 10:53:17 am »

Yeah, it sounds believable. Stuff has a way of getting into places !

Thanks , will get some grease on them bolts

Saying that , IF this is the EXP I have , I read in the old Thorn literature that it has a “drain plug “ on the bottom bracket so that any moisture /condensation can escape and in theory the seat tube will never develop rust . Well, they mentioned putting waxol ? Or something wax sounding in the seat tube

I’m not sure how this drain plug thing is supposed to work . If I’m correct it just looks like there a bolt screwed into the bottom bracket . Is the bolt supposed to be removed to allow moisture out ? Either permanently take out or occasionaly taken out and replaced ? Or would moisture still drain out even tho the bolt is screwed in ?

None of my bikes has a drain plug.  I can't answer that.

PH

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2022, 11:38:23 am »
A friend of mine that volunteers time as a bike mechanic at a charity is convinced that capilary action can draw water into the downtube through the water bottle cage bolt holes. 
For the reasons the Prince of Darkness points out two posts up from yours, this isn't possible if it's the frame with sealed tubes.
On any other frame without sealed bosses, I'd prefer to use threadlock rather than grease, both to do the job intended and to offer a longer lasting weather seal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 11:42:20 am by PH »

PH

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2022, 11:41:34 am »
Just remove to air it out once in a while, particularly if you've done a few wet rides.