Author Topic: Tyres and Tribulations  (Read 3698 times)

Lonerider

Re: Tyres and Tribulations
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2022, 07:23:10 pm »

Well, Marathon Plus get a few mentions on here. IMO they're the surest way to take the smiles out of my riding.  They're great in the scenario where a puncture is a disaster, but as soon as you mitigate that, I don't understand why anyone would take a three grand bike and dilute it's attributes.
[/quote]

PH - a quote from an email exchange I had recently supports your view.

"...... the Allmotion’s I linked would also be a solid choice, they have most of the puncture protection and only lack the sidewall reinforcement, but in turn they have a better ride feel compared to the Marathon Plus which can feel quite dead when on the road."

PH

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2022, 04:45:06 pm »

PH - a quote from an email exchange I had recently supports your view.

"...... the Allmotion’s I linked would also be a solid choice, they have most of the puncture protection and only lack the sidewall reinforcement, but in turn they have a better ride feel compared to the Marathon Plus which can feel quite dead when on the road."
I gave my opinion of Almotions upthread, I have been surprised how little difference there is between those and the Schwalbe Supreme, which probably remain my favorite tyre, but not by much. 
They both fit easily on all the rims I've used them on (sample of two sizes of Almotions on four different rims) though that's no guarantee that'll be the case for you, they fit easily without levers or swearing. They also both come up a little small, on my rims, the 40mm fits under guards on a MkIII Mercury, though I think they may be a bit tight on the previous model (I have both, but the original which now wears the Almotions doesn't have guards so I'm guessing)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 04:47:07 pm by PH »

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 06:14:19 pm »
Given that the question of tyre - rim combinations earlier in this thread I think it useful to update my experience in this respect. My Mercury came with Thorn 27.5" 584 rims fitted with tubeless 50mm G-One Speed tyres. When autumn arrived I changed to 48mm Gravel King SK tyres to provide more grip on mucky roads. However, despite several attempts I was unable to get the tubeless-ready Gravel Kings to seat tubeless because they were relatively loose on the rims and the air escaped through the gaps as fast as I could get it through the valve from an air tank. So I opted for tubes with sealant which worked without obvious punctures for 2,300 miles and the spring tyre change.

My recent bike build uses 622 American Classic Hurricane rims which are a circa 2013 tubeless ready design including pre-fitted rim tape although tubes were used when I bought the bike those wheels came off. I fitted 38mm Gravel King SK tyres on those rims and found that they were a snug fit on the rims and seated tubeless with no hassle. Today I decided it was time to swap to 40mm G-One Speed tyres for the summer. The new tyres were an extremely tight fit on the rims and I only succeeded because I had a https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/bbb-easy-tyre-fitting-tool-btl78 in my toolbox. They were so tight that I could inflate them without needing an air tank. If travelling far from home I'll need to carry that tool for refitting a tyre should I ever need to remove should there be a puncture which sealant can't handle.

What does this show? For the two tyres and two sizes in question the Gravel King SK has a slightly bigger bead diameter than the G-One Speed.