Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Replacing Rohloff shifter cables on a Raven Twin tandem

<< < (3/3)

mickeg:

--- Quote from: HugoC on May 17, 2022, 08:31:03 pm ---.... Would anyone like to offer their thoughts?

--- End quote ---

If I knew how to do that the best way, and I don't, it would probably take forever for me to describe it without ambiguities.  Sorry, not going to try.

That said, if you are replacing cables without adding or subtracting any length to either of them, I would be very tempted to remove the old cables and carefully measure and cut new ones that are exactly the same length as the old.  Hopefully both (upshift and downshift) are exactly the same length so you do not have to worry about which is which.

If for some reason, you were adding new housing to change shifter location or something like that, if you could measure the exact length of the difference in your change, then add or subtract that difference?

Mike Ayling:

--- Quote from: mickeg on May 06, 2022, 08:04:48 pm ---I am not sure which hub you have, the EX box or the one with an internal gear cable. 

I think Ravens do not use the EX box.  But you said long story, so maybe yours is different.

I have the EX box, when I have installed cables, I cut them to the length described with the extra 200 mm inner cable.  I would not suggest anything else.

--- End quote ---

Hi Mickeg

Our 2012 Raven Twin tandem came with the EX box but cable splitters were not offered for the shifter cables. To split the bike using the couplers we have to remove the EX box and wind up the cables and attach them to the front half. There is a splitter for the back V brake cable

Mike

GamblerGORD649:
So you cut the inner too short?? Then just cut the outer shorter.
My shifter is DIY on the top tube where there's no way for it to flop around and wear out.
Still not touched since installed 8 years/ 18,200 miles ago.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: Mike Ayling on May 19, 2022, 12:56:20 am ---...
Hi Mickeg

Our 2012 Raven Twin tandem came with the EX box but cable splitters were not offered for the shifter cables. To split the bike using the couplers we have to remove the EX box and wind up the cables and attach them to the front half. There is a splitter for the back V brake cable

Mike

--- End quote ---

That is the same exact thing with my S&S Nomad Mk II, except I am sure you have much more length.  I have full length outer housing for both brakes and both shift cables.

In the first photo, front frame member from my Nomad is under the wheel.  You can see the shifter and the disconnected EX box is in a plastic bag under the tire, I can see some of the plastic in the photo from the bag over the EX box.

I have not used the brake splitter, did not understand how initially and I misplaced it, when I found it several years later I did not feel any urgency to add the splitter, thus still not used.  I might use the splitter next time I pack the bike in a case, but have no plans to fly with my bike for at least another year. 

It is not clear in the photo, but my brake cable is still attached to brake levers on my handlebar, which is next to the case on the right.

Unlike most, I use drop bars on my Nomad Mk II, second photo.  Drop bars do not pack very easily in a S&S case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version