Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Bent Rohloff external gear mech!

(1/2) > >>

peterh:
Hi. While cleaning my bike (Thorn Raven Enduro) I noticed that the external gear mech is just touching the brake disk - it's bent inwards from the axle!

I've been on a few rides where I heard a slight rubbing sound - I assumed it was the disk pads, but it must have been the bent external mech. There doesn't seem to be a problem changing gear - although perhaps it's a bit stiff. I guess I should fix this?

1/ Has anyone else ever bent a Rohloff external gear mech?

2/ Any idea how difficult it is to change the external mech on a Rohloff? It looks complicated in the manual removing the axle place etc. I'm not that mechanically talented.

Don't know when I did this - must have given it a hell of a whack - but I can't think when I did it.

Thanks.

peterh:
Problem solved. It's not that difficult to change the external mech if anyone's interested - but it cost me 50 quid for the spare part from SJSC - still cheaper than an derailer I reckon. Still can't believe I managed to bend it - it's a chunky bit of metal...

Mugtree:
Hiya

I've just done the same

I dropped my bike off the garden table onto a wall!  I was going to see if I could bend it back into shape but after reading Peter's post I think I'd better order a new part.

peterh:
Good to know I'm not the only one who can do this :-) This position for the mech looks a bit prone to this problem in my opinion.

When I ordered the new part it was slightly different to the old one. The old mech had a hole drilled into it which mated with a grub screw in the hub. The new mech had this hole blanked off - which meant I had to remove the grub screw from the hub. Bit odd because a new grub screw was supplied with the new mech - but as far as I can see - it was unusable. Just telling you this in case it's useful - I didn't notice at first and the mech went on crooked.

vik:

--- Quote from: Mugtree on December 31, 2007, 08:59:32 am ---Hiya

I've just done the same

I dropped my bike off the garden table onto a wall!  I was going to see if I could bend it back into shape but after reading Peter's post I think I'd better order a new part.

--- End quote ---

Hey Mugtree - I'm going to post one of these pics [with credit to you] on my Surly Big Dummy Blog [www.viks-bigdummy.com] as a heads up to other Rohloff users to watch out for this problem.  If that's not okay with you just drop me a line and I'll take the pic down.

cheers,

Vik

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version