Author Topic: Eccentric bolts  (Read 3309 times)

mickeg

Re: Eccentric bolts
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 12:17:39 pm »
I have only bought two torque wrenches in my life. 

First one, my used Land Rover came without the receiver hitch that had been installed at the factory.  Bought the new hitch, and a hitch is the kind of thing you want to make sure is installed right, so bought the half inch drive extra long torque wrench.  Discovered that was a waste of money, I was unable (insufficient arm muscle) to put enough torque on the bolts.  I could have skipped the wrench and just used all possible muscle without using a cheater bar.  But, since I had it I started to use that when installing square taper crankset bolts after had one that was not torqued high enough.

Second torque wrench, bought a Ritchey Breakaway frame.  They specifically instruct you to use a torque wrench on the coupler, max 4 Nm.  Needed the tiny little torque wrench for that.

I am not going to buy a new in between torque wrench for eccentric bolts.  If one is a bit loose, I will tighten it.  And with the rubber bands it should mean that I will never need my spare one that I carry on tours.