Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Rene Herse tire pressure calculator

<< < (2/4) > >>

martinf:
I compared the results of the calculator for the four tyre sizes I use on full size bikes with the pressures I currently use.

My current pressure for the rear tyre is within the range of the calcultor, near the "soft pressure for my "wide" tyres but near the "firm" pressure for the narrower tyres I use on the two "lightweight" bikes. 

I run the front tyre with a lower pressure than the rear, it has worked for 40+ plus years so I will carry on doing this.

JohnR:
I found that having front a bit below 30 psi and rear a bit above 30 psi worked well with my Mercury's 50mm tyres and is consistent with the soft end of the calculator's range although I wouldn't describe those pressures to be "soft" (nearer 20 psi).

B cereus:
An interesting read Dan. Rene Herse have always been a bit evangelical in their pronouncements. A lot of what they preach is good common sense advice but some is marketing led and needs to be evaluated in the light of ones own particular circumstances.

I've been using Berto's recommendations for a number of years now but have never regarded them as set in stone. They are however a useful reference from which I make my own adjustments according to circumstances. I don't really buy into the idea of equal pressures front and rear. It seems to me that I spend very little time braking when compared to the overall time spent riding. As far as I know I've never suffered an issue under braking that could be attributed to too low a front tyre pressure but I certainly detect an increased  road buzz  when the pressure is too high.

UKTony:

--- Quote from: JohnR on March 26, 2022, 08:32:52 am ---I found that having front a bit below 30 psi and rear a bit above 30 psi worked well with my Mercury's 50mm tyres and is consistent with the soft end of the calculator's range although I wouldn't describe those pressures to be "soft" (nearer 20 psi).

--- End quote ---

30psi for 2” tyres seems low to me unless it’s for particular surface conditions. Not long after I bought my Mk 2 Nomad I had a very scary experience on 26”x2” Schwalbe Duremes at speed on a narrow lane round a sharp bend at the bottom of a hill when the front tyre started to wobble. I rang Thorns and spoke to Andy Blance as a result of which I started using his recommended tyre pressures on page 40 of the Mega Brochure, for the Duremes and subsequently for the Marathon Supremes which I’ve been using all year round now for a few years, here

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/thorn_mega_brochure.pdf

Matt2matt2002:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on March 25, 2022, 10:30:54 pm ---
--- Quote ---Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS440 Tyre with Reflex - 26 x 1 3/8 Inch / 650 x 35A 37-590
ETRO37-590

Am I right in thinking the tire width is 37mm?
--- End quote ---
Most likely or within 2mm or so...but I always caliper mine to make sure, as actual tire width depends in part on the width of the rim.

Matt, you may wish to double-check the tire size if you intend this for your Raven, as it is a fractional 26in, not a decimal 26in. The diameter is very different, as 26in is intended for rims labeled 559mm, while this one is larger at 590/650A. For more information on the difference, see...
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#fraction

Best,

Dan.

--- End quote ---

Thanks again.

I wondered if the 'ETRO 37-590' was a reference to the tire width? As in 37mm wide..

Just weighed myself and Raven resulting in 95Kg total.
So at 37mm gives me a soft 43 & firm 53.

Slightly higher than my usual pressure.

As noted: good guidelines for personal preferences.

Best

Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version