Author Topic: Rohloff grip  (Read 3359 times)

Inbred

Rohloff grip
« on: March 06, 2022, 10:06:17 pm »
Help needed...
I have an older model Rohloff shifter with a triangular shaped grip. I would like to swap the grip for a round one. Unfortunately SJSC don't have any, only the newer Rohloff Light ones, that won't fit!
Does anyone know where I can get what I need?
Cheers! 😊

steve216c

Re: Rohloff grip
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 07:12:22 am »
Been there, seen that and would have got the T-Shirt but they don’t make them any more.

Unless you are lucky and find a bike shop with old stock, you are probably not going to find this. I spent weeks on a quest to replace mine and eventually got the last one from a shop in Prague after drawing blanks in UK and other parts of Europe.

Depending on the condition of your existing grip, you may be able to get it usable again. My rubber was perishing and was making my hands sticky. A weekly dusting  with talcum powder worked for me. And then I discovered shrinking rubber. Cheap and effective. I could recover the grip and no need to talc it any longer.

But then I found the last replacement grip in the world (at least it felt like this) and decided to fit it in place of my shrink rubber repaired one which was otherwise working fine.

Here is a link to my post on the grip repair with shrink rubber and where to order for this inexpensive repair alternative. http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14161.0
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 07:14:57 am by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

PH

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 05:32:32 pm »
I hadn't realised they were different apart from the grips, I've never had cause to look, so it was just an assumption.
That would explain why my secondhand hub came with two complete shifters!
So, I have this one if it's of any interest to you, fairly worn but it seems to run smooth, I haven't used it so untested but I'm happy to post if it's of use.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 01:32:19 am »
So, I have this one if it's of any interest to you, fairly worn but it seems to run smooth, I haven't used it so untested but I'm happy to post if it's of use.

That looks like the round one.  Mine on my Nomad Mk II that I built up in 2013 came with that version shifter.  The rubber is soft, abrades easily.

I used some black Shoe Goo (a product sold in USA, I think not sold in Europe or UK) to put three beads on mine for better grip and to reduce wear and abrasion.  This photo is five years old and mine has not worn much since I put the Shoe Goo on it.

GamblerGORD649

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 05:48:48 am »
Mine was sweat slippery from the start as well. In Vietnam I wrapped it tight with a shoe lace. LOL. It came loose a few times. That's the way I had it until I found, in my dad's garage stuff, a random hat shape rubber part that fit over it.
Been working nice ever since, all of my last tour.  I have a spare swirl one unused.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 05:15:40 am by GamblerGORD649 »

PH

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 09:02:38 am »
That looks like the round one.
Yes, isn't that what Inbred is looking for?

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 09:46:38 am »
That looks like the round one.
Yes, isn't that what Inbred is looking for?

Yes.

Dunroving

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 09:53:19 am »

That looks like the round one.  Mine on my Nomad Mk II that I built up in 2013 came with that version shifter.  The rubber is soft, abrades easily.

I used some black Shoe Goo (a product sold in USA, I think not sold in Europe or UK) to put three beads on mine for better grip and to reduce wear and abrasion.  This photo is five years old and mine has not worn much since I put the Shoe Goo on it.

Shoe Goo might be another version of what is sold as Sugru in the UK? Seems similar - a moldable, settable plasticky/rubbery substance.

Inbred

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 10:37:56 am »
Thanks very much for all your help so far.
I was actually after a new grip.
My triangular one isn't worn out, I'd just prefer a round one.
Thanks again 😊👍

UKTony

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 11:38:43 am »
My 2013 Mk 2 Nomad came with the Twistshifter ‘Light’ unit (which is still current) and the so-called ‘round’ rubber grip. The grip wore out and I replaced it with the latest   ‘Wave’ design, which I find is better than the ‘round’ grip.

PH

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 09:01:14 am »
I'm proper confused now  :-\
have I got this right -
Inbred wants to swap a triangular grip (A) for a round one (B) and the wavy one (C) won't fit.
Tony has swapped his round grip for a wavy one.

How many have their been?  I thought it was just three, in which case it's hard to see how A-B would be interchangeable and B-C not.

I think the chances of finding a new round shifter is low, my impression is they weren't around for long, as several have mentioned the grip was poor and I think the wavy was a replacement rather than an alternative.

Inbred

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 09:11:20 am »
The triangular and round grips only fit the original Rohloff shifter (which I have).
The wavey one only fits the newer Rohloff Light shifter.
Unfortunately, the original shifter and its grips, aren't available anymore.
I'd have to replace the whole shifter, if I wanted to change!
Hope that cleared things up????

PH

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 09:35:23 am »
The triangular and round grips only fit the original Rohloff shifter (which I have).
Hope that cleared things up????
And the round one fits the same shifter as the wavy one?  At least that's Tony's experience, so no, I'm still confused ???

PH

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 09:42:08 am »
I've just had a look on the SJS website, they have a L/H round grip (Obviously not what you want) which specifically says
Spare parts for newer style Twistshifter light, will not fit older "triangluar" style shifter.
Are you sure what you're looking for will fit what you have?  I don't know otherwise, but it would be a big disappointment to find something and then discover it didn't!

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/rohloff-rubber-grip-for-left-hand-twistshifter-light-8195/

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 11:24:58 am »
The triangular and round grips only fit the original Rohloff shifter ....

This has been my understanding.  And my disappointment because I would like to have the newer wavy one, but not at that price.  I have never liked the round one.