Author Topic: Bromptons,powdered milk,rolex watches and other...  (Read 1621 times)

tyreon

Bromptons,powdered milk,rolex watches and other...
« on: February 23, 2022, 01:20:52 pm »
Walking thru town today I espied a group of young people all about a trainer shop. I stopped to ask them what they were doing,were they waiting to buy trainers. Yes they were,and could I help them out by going into buy a couple for them. I went in and bought x2 to come out to to go and givee them to the youngsters,and was then given a £10. The trainers werent for them but to 'upsell' to buyers through MSM.

I engaged them in coversation(and which was my main purpose on stopping)and we talked about this 'new' phenomena. We stopped stories. When I later went in for a coffee I thought it things thru with my wife. I had some idea about this trade with Rolex watches and recalled how Chinese people are regulated in Australia through buying whole supplies of  dried bably milk power. Then I recalled how and why this phenomena is happening with Bromtpon bikes. I have been somewhat slow to the table,but I have seen Bromptons for sale on Gumtree,new and above the retail price...it sort of didnt make sense. Now,I am better informed.

For those who might be interested,the trainer shoes were size 5 and 4.5. Cost £75. The MSM cost would be £150. There were a number of lads around all trying to get into the shop to purchase. The two I dealt with conducted their business on a part time basis. An interesting world. As an old aged codger(but still younger than Mick Jagger),I was interested in this new biz. I sort of pictured the profile of those who would want to buy said trainers. I think I got it. Looking back I think I can remember some national cycle shop retailer restricting the sales of Bromtpon bikes back some 2years. Then,in Indonesia,the demand was far outstripping the supply of the bikes.

in4

Re: Bromptons,powdered milk,rolex watches and other...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 02:51:33 pm »
I’ve seen this phenomena at Clarke’s and M&S outlets. It’s a feeding frenzy to behold as trolley loads of  shoes, clothes and homewear are wheeled off to EBay/Gumtree land or even taken on a Megabus to some far-off destination.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 03:04:19 pm »
interesting thoughts here.

what a crazy world we live in now.

(but still younger than Mick Jagger)

I think most of us a younger than Sir Mick.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 03:57:13 pm »
There have always been things where demand outstrips supply and speculators ready to step in and profit from it, trainers seem an odd one, but maybe no more so than tulipmania in the 17th centaury. 
There used to be a market in car deposits for certain models with years long waiting lists, you could for a moderate sum secure your place on the list speculating that the value would increase closer to fulfilment, the manufacturers didn't like it of course and raised the deposits to discourage.  That's at the other end of the market from those buying Aldi/Lidl specials to churn them out on Ebay, but the principal is the same. 
The value of stuff is whatever people will pay, though what that is frequently amazes me, though I suppose in the same way that the cost of bikes amazes some others!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 04:33:30 pm »
There have always been things where demand outstrips supply and speculators ready to step in and profit from it, trainers seem an odd one, but maybe no more so than tulipmania in the 17th centaury. 
There used to be a market in car deposits for certain models with years long waiting lists, you could for a moderate sum secure your place on the list speculating that the value would increase closer to fulfilment, the manufacturers didn't like it of course and raised the deposits to discourage.  That's at the other end of the market from those buying Aldi/Lidl specials to churn them out on Ebay, but the principal is the same. 
The value of stuff is whatever people will pay, though what that is frequently amazes me, though I suppose in the same way that the cost of bikes amazes some others!

Thanks PH. An interesting read: At the peak of tulip mania, in February 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled artisan.

Cost of bikes? Yes indeed. But I consider that I'm paying for R&D plus many shop over-heads when I look at bike prices.

best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink