Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Velocity deep v rims

<< < (2/4) > >>

martinf:

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on February 17, 2022, 10:57:02 pm ---Other mentioned that there is no need for 48h and 36h was enough , unless going on a very long tour and wanting extra insurance
--- End quote ---

36H, even on dished derailleur bike wheels, has been enough for me, even on the tandem I once had. This had a typical all up weight of about 150 Kg including the riders, bike and light luggage.

On my 2011 tour to Spain the 36H dished rear wheel coped with an all up weight that varied between 109 and 123 Kg, I was mostly using roads and reasonably good paths, but including a few sections of rocky tracks.

For unloaded/lightly loaded rides on good roads on my lightweight with a dished rear wheel I had no problems with 28 spokes front and rear. In this use the all up weight varied between 90 and 105 Kg. I recently replaced the derailleur hub with a gear hub, re-using the same 28H rim, this wheel should be stronger as it has virtually no dish.

hendrich:
This depends on total weight. Our older tandem initially had 40 hole wheels. Spoke breakage on drive side was a problem until we switched to 48 holes/Dyad rim on rear. Some 100,000 miles later, never a spoke break with typically 220 kg on tour. For single, certainly can do less, but again depends on weight. On a dished wheel I would go for at least 36, no reason to bother with less because on tour I don't care to fiddle with wheels.

PH:

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on February 17, 2022, 10:57:02 pm ---The discussion was about  “Very strong 48h 700c rims “ for touring

--- End quote ---
Well I wasn't in the conversation, but it would IMO be a pretty poor choice for a touring rim.  If you were going to tour on the rim's maximum 28mm tyre size it's going to need to be stronger than a rim used with a 32+.

ourclarioncall:

--- Quote from: mickeg on February 18, 2022, 10:29:35 am ---Some people say that a 26 inch wheel is much stronger than 700c.  I suspect it is slightly stronger, but not by much.

A decade or more ago, 700c tires that were much wider than 37mm were rare in bike shops, but wider 26 inch tires and therefore wider 26 inch rims were easier to find.  Thus at that time maybe the 26 inch rims were much stronger because they were also wider?

And I have not seen a 26 inch wheel that had a hub spacing less than 135mm in quite a few decades.  My errand bike is a 1994 and it has a 135mm rear hub.  But a lot of 700c wheels are still 130mm, which has more dish.

Co-Motion in Western USA makes solo touring bikes and tandems.  They make a solo touring model called the Americano that uses tandem strength wheels.  I recall riding behind a guy that had one with derailleurs.  It took a while for me to figure out why his bike looked so odd, the 145mm rear hub spacing was undished.  I think his wheel was 40 spokes.  I was not used to seeing a bike in front of me for several miles riding on the highway with an undished wheel before.

An undished wheel is a lot stronger than a dished wheel because the spoke tension is the same on both sides.  I think that is more important than adding some more spokes.  Rohloff wheels are undished too.

Modern rims, hubs and spokes are pretty strong.  For a solo touring bike, I think 36 is good enough.  I have only broken spokes on a 1960s vintage wheel, I have never broken a spoke or damaged a rim on a wheel that I built.  I built the wheels on my touring bikes.  They are all 36 spoke except the front wheel is 32 on my light touring bike, while the rear on that bike is 36.

But, 32 spoke is becoming more common, even on touring bikes.  They are cheaper to build and manufacturers can advertise that they are a hair lighter.  Thus, if you are looking for a replacement rim later, you might have trouble finding a 36, as 32 will be more common.

Why did I use 32 spokes front and 36 spokes rear on my light touring bike?  Two simple reasons.  I decided there is a lot less weight on the front wheel and 32 would be enough.  And the specific dynohub I wanted was in very short supply in 36 at that time, but 32 were common, I found a 32 on sale for about $40 USD cheaper than the 36.

--- End quote ---

So do all tandem derailleur bikes have undished wheels ?

Is a tandem wheel simply a rim with more spokes? Or is it wider like an Andra 40? I guess the hub has to match the number of spokes

I know it’s totally overkill but I’ve been looking at getting 48hole CSS rims . Mainly because I’ve always wanted CSS rims and they are the only ones I can find online . Son make a 48hole tandem hub so I think that would be fine with the rim

But the thought of extra strength and bombproofness appeals to me. Saying that , I am almost 17 stone so I like the thought of a super strong rim. I don’t really care about weight . I’m not going to be going very fast especially when loaded up.

But now you’ve got me intrigued about undisged wheels . I knew with a Rohloff it would’ve insisted vut don’t understand how it can be undished with a derailleur on the bike you mentioned 🤔

ourclarioncall:
Okay I see what you mean now in this video

https://youtu.be/2APGsZI4P2k

So have they just widened the chain stays or is the hub ? I searched their website but could see any info . It just tells you the rims and the hub which Im wondering is maybe their own model as couldn’t find it online

Basically I’m wondering if I could recreate this undished setup or is it only available on their bike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version