Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Braking accidents /malfunctions

(1/3) > >>

ourclarioncall:
Just wondering which type of brakes are least likely to fail?

Or safest if they do somehow fail

And has anyone ever had a scare or accident while riding with brakes locking or something similar ?

JohnR:
Rim brakes often gave me scary moments due to insufficient braking capacity when the rims were wet or dirty. Then I got a bike with disc brakes and discovered the joy of reliable all-weather braking ability with the overall stopping ability being controlled by the grip of tyre on road surface. Disc brakes also eliminate the long term risk of the rims wearing away and exploding while they aren't troubled by a bent rim.

I don't recall having failure of a brake mechanism. Any type of brake needs regular checks and adjustment and the clearances / movement of a disc brake mechanism are smaller than on rim brakes. Cable failure is the most likely cause of brake failure whatever the type of brake. Hydraulic brakes are nice due to lack of friction but have their downsides of less easy maintenance and the risk that any moisture in the fluid can boil under extreme braking conditions which will result in the brake locking on.

Disc brake pads come in many shapes and sizes so, if travelling far from home then it's advisable to carry some spares. They don't take up significant room in the baggage. The one disadvantage of a disc brake on the front wheel is that stiffer forks are needed to handle the torque caused by the brake when in use which is why you see some Thorn bikes with a rim brake on the front and a disc brake on the back. Personally, I'm happy to accept a slightly worse rise quality as a trade off for getting better braking ability given that deceleration results in weight transfer onto the front wheel, particularly if going downhill.

B cereus:
Total brake failures are thankfully quite rare and the risks can be further reduced by proper maintenance. Your best insurance is the legal requirement for bicycles to have two independent brakes.

It may not be a fashionable choice, but for reliability and consistency in both wet and dry conditions, and minimal maintenance, I'd nominate the humble drum brake.

ourclarioncall:

--- Quote from: B cereus on December 18, 2021, 09:07:50 am ---Total brake failures are thankfully quite rare and the risks can be further reduced by proper maintenance. Your best insurance is the legal requirement for bicycles to have two independent brakes.

It may not be a fashionable choice, but for reliability and consistency in both wet and dry conditions, and minimal maintenance, I'd nominate the humble drum brake.

--- End quote ---

Do you get drum brakes for modern touring bikes ?

Cheers

ourclarioncall:

--- Quote from: JohnR on December 17, 2021, 08:25:08 am ---Rim brakes often gave me scary moments due to insufficient braking capacity when the rims were wet or dirty. Then I got a bike with disc brakes and discovered the joy of reliable all-weather braking ability with the overall stopping ability being controlled by the grip of tyre on road surface. Disc brakes also eliminate the long term risk of the rims wearing away and exploding while they aren't troubled by a bent rim.

I don't recall having failure of a brake mechanism. Any type of brake needs regular checks and adjustment and the clearances / movement of a disc brake mechanism are smaller than on rim brakes. Cable failure is the most likely cause of brake failure whatever the type of brake. Hydraulic brakes are nice due to lack of friction but have their downsides of less easy maintenance and the risk that any moisture in the fluid can boil under extreme braking conditions which will result in the brake locking on.

Disc brake pads come in many shapes and sizes so, if travelling far from home then it's advisable to carry some spares. They don't take up significant room in the baggage. The one disadvantage of a disc brake on the front wheel is that stiffer forks are needed to handle the torque caused by the brake when in use which is why you see some Thorn bikes with a rim brake on the front and a disc brake on the back. Personally, I'm happy to accept a slightly worse rise quality as a trade off for getting better braking ability given that deceleration results in weight transfer onto the front wheel, particularly if going downhill.

--- End quote ---

Thanks

So when going downhill with a heavy load, what brake or brakes am I supposed to be using ? Im a rear brake user and it wasn’t until coming on this forum that I learned I’m supposed to be using the front most of the time

Also I hear people saying things like they wore out their disc brakes going downhill. What’s the scoop with that ? To do with the quality of the pads or the braking skills of the person

And when going downhill (which could have you build up to high speeds like 40+ mph, is it advisable to bring your speed down to a certain amount or safe range such as 10-20mph ?

On the fork choice, an eBay thorn bike seller said he had the disc fork previously and said his hands went numb within half an hour and didn’t like it at all so had the more comfortable rim break instead . But you reckon it’s maybe not that bad ? Whether he was being literal or not I’m not sure (as in the numb after 30 mins )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version