Author Topic: How much punishment ….  (Read 5485 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: How much punishment ….
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 12:10:35 pm »
You’re over thinking, my latent Thorn owner lol. The huge canon of Thorn data and experience is viewable all over the ‘net. Unless you intend to do something highly unusual the evidence base provides copious examples of Thorn bikes’ robustness and suitability for your intended use.

Which model will you chose?

You’re welcome 😀

Hahaha. Cart before the horse indeed, that’s how I roll 😁 it’s just how I’m wired…. I like to mentally walk through every step of the journey before I go so I know what il face and il know what to avoid, and it works well. What doesn’t work well is bringing people along for the ride 😆

Also , I’ve been living on the breadline for the last ten years and it’s been very hard going , but now I’m in a position to splash 4K on a bike (which I never dreamed I would be)  , I want to make wise decisions and get it right first time

ourclarioncall

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2021, 12:17:41 pm »
I’d be willing to contribute money towards an experiment….

40 of us chip in £100 each for a 4K nomad

We give a stuntman the bike with a white lab coat and clip board and he has to repeadetly drop those kerbs until the bike is unrideable

Film it / documentary/ YouTube , we’ll make a fortune 😁

Am I serious …… partly . Skip the money making YouTube part but a basic video log of progress would be good 😊

You know you would watch it !

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 01:52:50 pm »
. I like to mentally walk through every step of the journey before I go so I know what il face and il know what to avoid, and it works well.

What a wonderful idea.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ourclarioncall

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 03:26:27 pm »
. I like to mentally walk through every step of the journey before I go so I know what il face and il know what to avoid, and it works well.

What a wonderful idea.

In certain contexts it’s best to cross that bridge when we get to it, In others it’s best to have been back and forth over them 50 times before you tie your right shoe

Walt Disney apparently died before his vision for Disney world was completed .later  At a special occasion I think it was a lady turned to his wife and said it’s a pity he wasn’t here to see it …. To which his wife replied “ oh , he saw it “

I guess he’d already been there many times while walking the landscape of his imagination

#dailydoseofinspiration 😊

John Saxby

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2021, 03:55:55 pm »
OK, guys:  reading all this, I reckon it amounts to a case for curbing (or kerbing, if that's the local custom) our more destructive instincts when on de boike ;)

ourclarioncall

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 04:08:18 pm »
OK, guys:  reading all this, I reckon it amounts to a case for curbing (or kerbing, if that's the local custom) our more destructive instincts when on de boike ;)

Well, I’m not even going to be able to ride my bike now, never mind kerb dropping. I bought a new wheel from the cycle shop, but it was missing something in the middle. I called up to complain and they put me straight through to their spokes-person.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 04:10:22 pm »
I just googled bike puns , and some of them are wheelie good 👍 😌

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2021, 05:01:51 pm »
I just googled bike puns , and some of them are wheelie good 👍 😌

I always have fun cycling over mountains.
They're hilarious.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2021, 06:36:07 pm »
Getting back on topic, perhaps the question should be "what is designed to be the weakest point and is it easily repairable". Wheels and spokes are much cheaper to repair/replace than a frame.

If regularly jumping over kerbs then would a suspension fork fit on a Nomad?  The next best defence is to use the fatest tyres that will fit. I had a nipple break on my Mercury (with 50mm tyres) in July, probably when I hit a substantial pothole that was lurking in the shadows. The result was a slightly warped wheel that I didn't notice immediately (I checked the bike for damage after the pothole encounter) and then lived with until I had time to investigate and fix.

PH

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2021, 08:20:37 pm »
I just want to understand how strong bikes are in general and where and how they break down and in specific a thorn nomad which would apply to me if purchased

I’m planning visiting a city in Scotland soon , so I’ve been looking at a map so I know where I am . I also want to know my bearings and have a rough idea of where the boundaries of the city centre are. I have no desire or intention to go near those boundaries , I just want to know where they are in contrast to where I am planning on being .

If I buy a power tool I want to know what it can handle so I don’t damage it. If I don’t know then fear will come in and steal my liberty and enjoyment and will end up using it to a much smaller capacity than it is safely capable of
it isn't designed for riding off kerbs, that's not it's intended use, the manufacturer is unlikely to warranty it for anything other than that intended use. It would be foolish to buy a bike expecting to be able to abuse it without consequence. However, as said previously:
If you damaged it by occasionally straying outside that design, you'd be incredibly unlucky to do any damage, it does happen, just not very often.
You're looking for a definitive answer where none exists. You ask if repeatedly riding off kerbs will cause damage, the answer is possibly, all anyone can say with certainty is that it won't be doing it any good. The Nomad is a tough tourer, it isn't going to crumple up with a bit of abuse, it'll going to continue taking abuse right up until it doesn't, you won't know when that is till you reach it, in the unlikely event that you do. 
If I buy a power tool I want to know what it can handle so I don’t damage it. If I don’t know then fear will come in and steal my liberty and enjoyment and will end up using it to a much smaller capacity than it is safely capable of
That's a fairly good comparison, I've frequently used power tools well beyond what they were intended for, I've never had one fail to do the job, but I'm pretty sure I've shortened the life of a couple.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2021, 08:45:48 pm »
Ok, it’s designed to ride OVER all types of terrain but not OFF all types of terrain (or any whatsoever )

Maybe I could swap the kerb dropping for other real life day to day obstacles that can occur while riding  over terrain , such as potholes , large stones/rocks , planks of wood, drains

Having said that , for a bike that is designed to be bomb proof and tour the world up mountain and through deserts etc, I would think it would be reasonable that the bike WILL encounter some drops from height? Even if from an inch or two versus a high kerb?

But maybe kerb dropping has been a distraction from what I was really driving at , so il move the focus of if you will. Communication is always a bit of a minefield and it takes a bit of back and forth to bring clarity . Nobody’s fault , we all tend to hear things differently. When I tell my wife 5 minutes , she literally thinks I mean 5 minutes . Well … she knows me a bit better now 🙂

Personally I don’t like dropping off kerbs as i don’t enjoy the hard thud, not really need to as pavements are pretty good these days and have lots of Ramps in the right places . So that’s not something I really have to worry about much

But potholes …… now that’s a very real issue
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 08:53:28 pm by ourclarioncall »

PH

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2021, 08:58:40 pm »
But potholes …… now that’s a very real issue
If I broke a bike, loaded no more than the reccomended maximum, while riding over a pothole, I'd expect it to be a warranty issue.
Here's a full carbon Pinarello Dogma getting abused, it obviously stood up to it, but I wouldn't want to be the second owner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

ourclarioncall

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2021, 09:09:07 pm »
PH

Very interesting

Hmm, but now we have a bit of a problem in defining a pot hole 🕳, as they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and depths (some really bad ones might be comparable to dropping of a kerb?  🤔

ourclarioncall

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2021, 09:19:17 pm »
I’m just looking at heights for uk kerbs , but getting more than one answer

Had a brief look at average pot hole depth too

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2021, 09:21:37 pm »
Hmm, but now we have a bit of a problem in defining a pot hole 🕳, as they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and depths (some really bad ones might be comparable to dropping of a kerb?  🤔
A big pothole is one of the worst hazards and you might well hit it at significant speed if it's lurking in the shadows on a downhill section of road.