Technical > Lighting and Electronics

Where do you mount front lamp

<< < (3/3)

mickeg:
I tried a home made bracket for a light a few years back.  The light vibrated quite a bit, I must have gotten exactly the wrong size to get a resonant vibration as I rode.

I have not had any complaints about the shadow from the tire, but I typically ride on pavement when it is dark out. 

If I rode poor terrain in a forest, I can see how the tire shadow could be an inconvenience.  But at that slower speed where you need to know exactly how to steer around stuff on the trail that is only a few meters in front of you, I would have expected that you would be going so slow that a battery light would be preferred.  When I am pedaling slowly up a hill at about 1.5 to 2 meters/second speed, my dyno powered light is not very bright and is flickering.

I would be inclined to use a battery powered headlamp on my head for those rare times when I am going through forest paths where I am slow enough that I need to see the ground that close to me.  Then rely on the dyno powered light for more typical terrain.

In a previous post on this thread I included four photos.  The third of those photos is of a light I mounted on the right side of my fork using the canti brake post.  I used the extra long Edelux mount (black) which I think is the same as a B&M mount for that light, I bent it slightly to be up higher for less shadow.  That put the shadow off to the side and ahead instead of directly ahead, but side or ahead has not been an issue for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version