Technical > Lighting and Electronics

Where do you mount front lamp

(1/3) > >>

ourclarioncall:
Where do you mount your front lamp …. And why ? pictures are invited 🙂

in4:
How long is a piece of string lol
Depends upon so many things. Barbag, front rack and panniers?
What’s your intended use?

ourclarioncall:
The question was more as in …. Where do YOU mount YOUR front lamp . If that makes more sense

Do people favour certain positions for example because the project the light better or dazzle people /drivers less

Or maybe for safety or theft reasons . Might want it in a more subtle position as not to attract attention

As for me , when I get my bike I want thorns front and rear racks so panniers will be on sides . I like the common position I see them placed in but was wondering about up on the handlebars . I’ve seen them right on the front of racks sticking out like a nose but I don’t think I like how vulnerable it is to things like a the size ten shoe of a pack of teenagers 🙂

mickeg:
Where do I put my front lights?  Usually up front.

First photo, fork crown on my Lynskey.

Second photo, fork crown on my road bike.

Third photo, my rando bike, the fork crown was already in use for a cable hanger so I put the light on a canti brake mount with an extra tall bracket.  Used a threaded rod instead of a brake bolt for length.

Fourth photo, I do NOT recommend this location.  This is on my errand bike.  I got a used dynohub wheel from a bike charity for cheap, had this old light in a box in the basement, I only use this light as a to-be-seen light, as I only ride this bike on well lit city streets.  The light this low to the ground will cause large shadows if there are bumps in the road or any debris or leaves on the road.  Thus, this is not ideal placement, but it was the easiest wiring job I have ever done, the hub and light were both grounded to the fork so it only took one wire.

Is there any reason you do not talk to bike shop sales people with these questions?

Danneaux:
High-mounted lamps tend to shine down into potholes, sometimes making them harder to see but can be aimed out further...to the detriment of oncoming traffic. Low-mounted lamps tend to highlight potholes with deep shadows but lose some range on the road surface. A lamp mounted to the fork crown is the happy medium and as I recall, is the default position designated by Germany's StVZO lighting regulations, a weighty and complex tome that makes for good bedtime reading if you are like me.  ;)

Crown mounting is fine for use with lowrider racks but is incompatible with platform front racks, so people will usually choose to mount their lights to the front center or to one side or the other of a platform rack. If you place it in the center, be sure it is not in a stream if water directed forward from the front mudguard/front wheel if it is raining, as the continuous water stream can cause damage to switches or the one place where many dyno lights are vulnerable: The unsealed, generally open bottom of the lamp near the mounting eyelet. Also, light mounted on the fork crown can hit the downtube and break or cause damage if the front wheel swings 'round. Thorn make/SJS Cycles stocks a steering limiter to, well, limit the possibility of such damage:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/thorn-steering-lock-limiter-striker-for-stepped-395-365-mm-head-tubes-1-18-steerers/?geoc=US While it is primarily intended to limit brake lever conflict, it should also help prevent headlight damage if one is mounted to the fork crown.

Best,

Dan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version