Technical > Lighting and Electronics

Dyno snaps

(1/3) > >>

ourclarioncall:
Anyone use these ?

https://www.dyna-snap.com/

What kind of things would you / could you power from a hub dynamo ?

I see they show a picture of powering gps. Would anyone do that ?

I thought I read that powering things like phones from the hub didn’t work well . Or that usb socket thing

Think I read it’s better to charge up a battery pack from the hub then charge your phone from the battery pack

steve216c:
Interesting alternative to spade connectors or old fashioned solder.

I can see the advantages for a folding bike situation with this magnet fittings. Not sure about if I would need on my non folding bikes though. Dynamos and lights are permanently attached with spade connectors on mine so would not need such a quick release for me. If I need to disconnect it would be a 15 second fiddle rather than 1 second as with this fittings, but so rarely need to do it, not worth the trouble.

As for attaching gadgets, that is another matter. Not sure your cable suggestions would alone would be enough. But a cheap USB adapter I tried was ok charging cheap phone, but iPhone wouldn’t charge from it. You need to look through the threads, but there are only a few decent USB adapter that will allow charging while riding reliably. And these were not cheap. If I were planning a tour of several days, worth the investment. But not for daily use where I can charge overnight at home.

Tiberius:
I like them and would definitely give them a try......BUT, not at 40 quid a set!!

PH:
I don't have a use for them, but I've seen them used by someone who swaps a very expensive light between bikes. so the price would be worth it to them.
I like the SON jack plug which have been around for a few years, but really in twenty years of using the spade connectors I never once had cause for complaint. 
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/wiring/son-coaxial-connector-system/

PH:

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on November 24, 2021, 12:43:17 pm ---I thought I read that powering things like phones from the hub didn’t work well . Or that usb socket thing
Think I read it’s better to charge up a battery pack from the hub then charge your phone from the battery pack

--- End quote ---
I have a USB dynamo charger I carry on tour for use as a last resort, I'll unplug the light and attach that in it's place, with a couple of re-usable zip ties to keep the wires out of the wheel. Other than to check it works, I've never needed it!  Fast charger and a couple of power packs serves me for a couple of days without recharging, so topping up as and when possible, even for half an hour, has always been more than enough to never be close to running out.  It'd only really come into it's own if I was doing a long remote tour, or had a particularly high power usage, neither of which is likely.  Still, it's nice to have for the reassurance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version