Author Topic: Thorn club tour 1998 upgrade  (Read 2476 times)

puffinstuff

Thorn club tour 1998 upgrade
« on: July 13, 2022, 08:20:17 am »
Hi folks,
I've got an old club tour from 1998 and want to upgrade but not sure where to start imterm of drive chain  which will need changing.  Can anyone point me in the direction of what the originals specs was for the bike of this year.  It's 531 at tubing.  Rear derailleur is 13/26 and front is 32/48 I think.

PH

Re: Thorn club tour 1998 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 11:33:05 am »
It's a bit of an open ended question.  Could do with a better understanding of what you wish to achieve.
Back to original spec?  Same speeds and ratios with current availability?  Modern spec with different speeds and ratios?
Then what does it have now and how much of that is serviceable and worth keeping?
There might be a brochure for this bike, I haven't looked in the archive, but Thorn have always built bikes up to order, so there's no guarantee that any of the recommended builds were used, though most buyers wouldn't have strayed that far.  Plus, do you know if this bike is still as supplied? Unless you've had it from new it's quite likely some parts have been changed. 
If the frame and wheels are good, it needn't be a huge task to get the bike back to being as good or better than when new.  It does however need a clear plan to not fall into the rabbit hole of incompatibility.

B cereus

Re: Thorn club tour 1998 upgrade
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 04:10:39 pm »
I've got a Club Tour of similar Vintage, actually around year 2000. SJS generally suggested  a basic specification in their brochure but would build to individual customer's requirements.

You really need to post a more detailed specification of your bike.  Drop bars or flat bars? Double or triple chainset? Bar end shifters? etc.

It would help if you could post a few photos.