Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Tire Width and Inner Rim Width

<< < (3/3)

mickeg:

--- Quote from: JohnR on November 16, 2021, 11:25:12 am ---On the subject of running the tyres a bit soft for extra comfort I would note that a few weeks ago I changed the seat post on my Mercury from Thorn's standard part to Wiggle's cheapest carbon seat post both to save a little weight and provide more comfort. I can confirm that the carbon seat post does filter out a lot of vibration caused by indifferent road surfaces. ...

--- End quote ---

Most of my bikes have a Brooks Conquest saddle, but a couple have a Brooks Pro.  The Conquest is essentially a Pro with springs.

Your description of the carbon seatpost sounds a lot like my observations on the sprung Conquest, the springs dampen the vibration.

lewis noble:
I was reading this and accidentally pressed the Report to Moderator button!

Sorry about that, unintentional.

Hold your fire, Dan!

Lewis

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---I was reading this and accidentally pressed the Report to Moderator button!
--- End quote ---
No worries! :) It happens every once in awhile. I review all reports and if nothing appears amiss, I put it down to an accidental click.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: Andre Jute on November 15, 2021, 07:08:44 pm ---E&OE
--- End quote ---

On hand of a long, illuminating post graciously sent to me offline by a longtime bicycle expert in response to my cry for help on rim failure modes, I've made some changes to my reply to Steve in this thread at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14415.msg107776#msg107776

Forum members with small wheel bikes (recliners, folders) may wish to read/reread the last two paragraphs from the editing notice down, right at the bottom of that post.

martinf:

--- Quote from: Andre Jute on November 17, 2021, 06:58:52 pm ---Forum members with small wheel bikes (recliners, folders) may wish to read/reread the last two paragraphs from the editing notice down, right at the bottom of that post.

--- End quote ---

I've done about 55,000 kms on small-wheel bikes, mostly 16" size on Bromptons and old Moultons.

Without trying to understand why, I use higher pressures for small-wheel bikes as compared to the same width of tyre on a large-wheel bike, using my usual method of :

- Inflate to maximum (either tyre manufacturer's or rim manufacturer's upper limit),
- Ride and assess comfort versus speed. The maximum pressure is nearly always uncomfortable and not any faster than a lower pressure, at least on the surfaces I usually ride on, 
- Decrease pressure, ride and assess comfort versus speed,
- Repeat the above step until speed or handling seem to drop OR I reach the tyre manufacturer's lower limit (I often go lower than this limit for my wife's bike, because I reckon the manufacturer's lower limit is based on a reasonably heavy male rider rather than a featherweight female rider),
- If speed or handling seem adversely affected before I reach the tyre manufacturer's lower limit, increase pressure by 5 or 10 psi to leave a small safety margin.
- I then note the resulting pressures (front and rear are different), and check tyre pressure regularly. 

If I intend carrying really heavy loads (I consider 5 to 15 Kg to be a normal load), I add a few psi to the pressures determined by the above procédure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version