Author Topic: Crazy Guy  (Read 8481 times)

Matt2matt2002

Crazy Guy
« on: October 19, 2023, 06:01:33 pm »
Anyone tried to access  Crazyguyonabike lately?

It usually goes down for a short time each week for maintenance but I haven't been able to access it for a day or so.

Thanks folks
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

WorldTourer

Re: Crazy Guy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 06:48:28 pm »
The proprietor announced that the site would briefly go down for server maintenance for a day, but that it has been more than that now, and it looks like there was some complication.

I would prepare for CGOAB not being around much longer. Advertisers and many users abandoned the site years ago when the proprietor made some statements widely interpreted as racist, and he went down a conspiracy-theory and American partisan-politics rabbit hole (he claims to wear MAGA hat when he goes to the shop, etc.) He hasn’t traveled by bike himself since 2008 and he has lost touch with many developments in the cycle-travel world like bikepacking, which along with the antiquated web design, means the site hasn’t been able to attract new users.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 07:02:21 pm by WorldTourer »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 10:39:32 pm »
Phew! All back to normal.

Yes, thanks for the above comments. I was aware of a certain amount of ' history ' there.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Matt

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 01:39:31 am »
Matt, you may want to have a look at CycleBlaze.  It was started by some refugees from crazyguy about 2017, if memory serves.  I post there from time to time, both journals and on the forum. Some other cyclists who post on the Thorn forum, also contribute to CycleBlaze. 

I've found it relaxed, informed, courteous and cheerful, and digitally functional.  Not as focussed on All Things Rohloffian as our forum, but worthwhile nonetheless.

Cheers,  John

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 09:21:20 am »
Matt, you may want to have a look at CycleBlaze.  It was started by some refugees from crazyguy about 2017, if memory serves.  I post there from time to time, both journals and on the forum. Some other cyclists who post on the Thorn forum, also contribute to CycleBlaze. 

I've found it relaxed, informed, courteous and cheerful, and digitally functional.  Not as focussed on All Things Rohloffian as our forum, but worthwhile nonetheless.

Cheers,  John

Thanks John. We have battened down the hatches here in Aberdeenshire while storm Babet passes across, so I'll have plenty of time to take a look at CycleBlaze. High winds, heavy rain and swollen rivers yesterday and today. No life loss reported.
I was called out last night to open our school academy in case it was needed for public shelter but stood down after 4 hours. Other folks stayed on in case local folks came in.
Thanks again, John. Some light reading will be appreciated in these troubled times.

Matt

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 07:46:42 pm »
Take care, Matt -- hope you're on high(er) ground.

J.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 07:26:01 am »

Cheers,  John

I have also moved to CycleBlaze
Mostly an older demographic, well funded and credit card types!
You do see the odd Rohloff.
My general impression is that a lot of the posters there are not terribly competent at bike maintenance and repairs, giving a lot of business to bicycle shops.

Mike

j-ms

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 06:29:18 pm »
I moved to Cycle Blaze about five years ago, largely because the site owner appeared to have become less accepting of anyone whose political views differed from his.  Nonetheless,  CGOAB remains an important reservoir of cycle touring information despite there being a noticeable decline in new content over the past few years.

As Mike pointed out, the demographics on Cycle Blaze point to an older membership base who are less likely to rough it than some of us.  As I am now a third of my way through my sixties I don't feel out of place in that regard but my wife and I possibly tackle longer and more challenging tours than some Cycle Blaze members.  We generally spend six months of every year cycle  touring in various parts of the world, always self supported and usually a mix of wild camping and credit card.  But there are many other, often older, members who do the same as well as young guns doing really long tours on a shoe string.

However,  the main attraction for me is that seems more accepting of people from a broader spectrum of the world's population and doesn't expect you to be a MAGA subscriber.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 06:51:36 pm »
Well said, Jean-Marc.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2023, 08:52:53 pm »
I moved to Cycle Blaze about five years ago, largely because the site owner appeared to have become less accepting of anyone whose political views differed from his.  Nonetheless,  CGOAB remains an important reservoir of cycle touring information despite there being a noticeable decline in new content over the past few years.

As Mike pointed out, the demographics on Cycle Blaze point to an older membership base who are less likely to rough it than some of us.  As I am now a third of my way through my sixties I don't feel out of place in that regard but my wife and I possibly tackle longer and more challenging tours than some Cycle Blaze members.  We generally spend six months of every year cycle  touring in various parts of the world, always self supported and usually a mix of wild camping and credit card.  But there are many other, often older, members who do the same as well as young guns doing really long tours on a shoe string.

However,  the main attraction for me is that seems more accepting of people from a broader spectrum of the world's population and doesn't expect you to be a MAGA subscriber.
If you do look in to CycleBlaze as well as Jean-Marc rides also look out for Rachael and Patrick Hugens who do similar rides.

Mike