Community > Muppets Threads! (And Anything Else)

one bike

<< < (2/5) > >>

mickeg:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on October 13, 2021, 08:15:50 pm ---... there seems to be no cure for "n+1 Syndrome".

Best,

Dan.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, my last two were not planned purchases.  The most recent one, I thought about it for maybe five minutes before I bought it.  That one was on Amazon, a complete bike with Campy drivetrain and Ritchey Breakaway frame, cost was less than the cost of the frame.  I rarely ride it but am still glad I bought it.

I had to think hard several months ago when I saw that Thorn Enduro on Ebay, but as you know I eventually decided that even though it was a great deal I would probably not use it enough to warrant purchase.

But, I am at the point where there are redundancies.  Hard to justify even great deals.

geocycle:
I could do 90% of my cycling on more RST with little compromise. Great for touring, commuting,shopping and some recreational rides. I would miss my audax bike for fun day rides and the folder was great when meetings were held in London before Zoom. If buying now it would be a Mercury which is similar to the RST but with bigger wheels and disk options.

Matt2matt2002:
Raven Tour man here.
It took me over the Pamir Highway fully loaded.
No issues. Maybe I was lucky but I don't tour with luck in my panniers.
Maybe longer and tougher/ rougher roads but I recall thinking the Raven handled it all so well. I wondered what else the Nomad would have offered. Apart from weight. Security of mind of course. And when one is above 3500m and 100+ miles from another soul, I guess that can be important.

Isn't it great that we can all have different opinions and views?

Reminds me of my friend Rodney's quote:
I never lose. I either win or learn.

mickeg:
I commented above that if I could only have one bike, it would be my titanium bike.  But, I am sure that it would have not performed well if I had this load on it on this rough of a road. 

Photo of my Nomad Mk II and a photo of the road that day attached.

I do not think I would have even attempted that road with my titanium bike.

John Saxby:
Wellll... Horses for courses, if I may coin a phrase.

My Raven-mit-Rohloff does well on more courses than either of my other bikes, an Eclipse ti-framed light-touring bike, and a Miele San Remo road bike repurposed and re-kitted as a city errands bike.  No contest within my stable.  The "but" is significant:  I wouldn't use it for any purpose that meant leaving it locked and unattended in public view.

If the Raven were stolen today (perish the thought), I'd replace it with a Mercury with 650B wheels and (if I properly understand Moronic's reports) I could use an ST front fork that would allow front rack & panniers.  Of course, the Raven is no longer built so there'd be no choice to be made.  But even if it were available, I'd still opt for the Mercury - the lighter weight and (unladen) nippier feel make it attractive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version