Community > Muppets Threads! (And Anything Else)

one bike

<< < (5/5)

PH:
I don't have many photos showing the rack when it isn't obscured by panniers.  It's fairly close to the wheel and also has the mudguard mounted to it, so it's either both or neither. I have some modified (Shortened) Ortlieb Front Rollers which suit it fine.  Might get away with slightly larger, I haven't tried.  Apologies for the unseasonal photo  ;)

Ride-4 by Paul, on Flickr

My first Joey had a full size Tubus rack fitted which did sit high, though I used the lower rail.

untitled (1 of 4) by Paul, on Flickr

The other thing with folding bikes is the one size advantage, every home should have a guest bike and one anybody can ride adds to the versatility.

tyreon:
A fascinating topic of conversation and a good look into peoples cycling profiles and choices.

I dont think I could have too many bikes. Not theseadays. I am not doing the mileage and the city where I live is being crowded in on all side by increasing growth in other cities and towns,and constant inbuilding. Having lived where I live for more years than I have expected,I am now tired of the routes to escape 'bush' than I was. I would have to ride some 20 miles to escape into open country. On the one shorter route it maybe 10 miles. My main cycling is now urban cycling(for shopping)with one or two excursions to break free of urban blight. I ride a recently purchased ladies Dawes Duchess. It has an upright ride and doesnt attract unwanted attention from bicycle thieves(I have,in the past,had two bicycles stolen)

I have and Orbit and a Thorn for overseas touring,but through age and health,now choose to tour overseas on a folder: Dahon.

I cant envisage just having one decent bike as a does-all. Where I now cycle I would have to have it festooned with 6 D locks. Then take  anxiolytics(maybe its just me!)

Why has France stolen all the best cycling countryside and geography ;). Look at all the myriad of spider-web road networks,the varied scenery,respectful car drivers... ;D

mickeg:
I am currently at nine, thus one for each day of the week plus two spares.

But a few of them rarely ridden.  I have not ridden the two spares for at least two years.

Redundancies, listed below.

- My light touring bike can do anything that my rando bike does, thus the rando bike is redundant.

- And my light touring bike can do almost everything my road bike does, but the road bike is a bit quicker, and the road bike has a Ritchey Break Away frame that can be split for packing in a smaller case.  Thus the road bike is almost redundant, but not quite.  That said, I have never packed it in the smaller case to travel anywhere and I am not sure if I ever will.  I got lucky and got the road bike for about one third of the manufacturer suggested retail, new in box with factory warranty.  That is the sole reason I bought it, the price was screaming - take me home.

- My three speed is only used for errands, and same with my Bridgestone, thus the three speed is redundant.

- My 1961 Columbus tubing Italian bike is fitted with downtube friction shifters front and rear, and has a narrow range on the rear freewheel.  Have not ridden it for a few years because I hate friction downtube for shifting the rear.  I like the ride of the frame, but that is the only redeeming factor, thus this one is redundant.

Thus, four of the fleet could be considered redundant, I could get by with only five bikes, as follows:

- Folder
 - Errand bike
 - Light touring
 - Medium touring
 - Heavy touring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version