Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Schwalbe Dureme Cracked

<< < (3/4) > >>

martinf:

--- Quote from: julio on October 29, 2021, 08:13:17 am ---Maybe my link (bike24) is wrong, I send a pics of the tire I've seen on the gravel bike.
It looks less off-road and more tarmac road.
Can you confirm me the model please

--- End quote ---

Think that is a standard Marathon.

Quite a nice "basic" tyre, and relatively inexpensive. I've done a fair distance with this model on a 650B utility bike and 16" Bromptons. But a bit heavy at 970g (26"x2.0" size).

I noticed the difference in rolling resistance when I went from standard Marathon to Marathon Supreme on my utility bike. If Schwalbe's assessment is correct, it should roll about the same as a Marathon Mondial. But not so tough as the 740g Kevlar bead version of the latter.

jul:
Ah OK, it's called Marathon Original. That's a shame it is too heavy 970gr..

Thanks Martin

martinf:
For a Dureme replacement, with what is currently available in the Schwalbe range I reckon there are two logical choices:

- Supreme, while stocks are still available, and if you are prepared to risk a slighly lighter and slightly more fragile tyre, with the advantage of less rolling resistance on tarmac.

- Mondial if you want something tougher than the Supreme (and the Dureme), notably for touring with a significant amount of riding and tracks and paths. Personally, I would prefer the more expensive and slightly heavier Kevlar bead version of the Mondial rather than the wire bead version, as I reckon the sidewalls of the former are better protected against damage from rocks and potholes.

If you don't mind carrying the extra weight, another advantage of Kevlar bead tyres is that you could get new tyres now, but only fit them when you reckon the old ones are too worn (either for safety or if getting too many punctures).

martinf:
As I've just replaced a Supreme tyre (see http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14398.0) I had a look to see what was available.

I found 26" x 50mm Supremes, so ordered a pair. When I fitted one, it was about 3 mm smaller on the radius (so tyre height, not measured the width) as compared to the old one. It as also marked "E bike ready" so there may be other changes compared to the old model. According to the description on the website the new model is supposed to have less rolling resistance than the old one, but I haven't really noticed any difference other than the size.

I also found a couple of other possible Dureme replacements still available on French web stores:

https://www.cyclo-randonnee.fr/pneu-98/pneu-schwalbe-marathon-mondial-tringle-souple--795.html
This site still has some stock of the discontinued 26" x 55 mm Mondial, wider and slightly heavier than the 26" x 50mm version of the Mondial that is still in the 2021 Schwalbe catalogue. With the extra width, they should perform better on sandy tracks. But they are expensive on this site.

https://www.increvable.com/pneu-velo-touring-tl-easy-schwalbe-marathon-almotion-dynamic-casing-hs453-26x2-15-etrto-55-559.html
who still have some stock of the 26" x 55mm version of the Almotion, This is still in the 2021 Schwalbe catalogue in 27.5" and 29" sizes but discontinued in 26". From the Schwalbe ratings, Almotion seems to be in between Supreme and Mondial in weight and capabilities. As above, the extra width might help a bit on soft surfaces.

jul:
Hi Martin,

What do you think about the Schwalbe Big Apple? 26 x 2.15" for 615gr of memory.
It is not slick as the Supreme and relatively light.

Always in a spirit for ride in all condition, rough and asphalt roads, wet and dry weather..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version