Author Topic: Chain guards  (Read 41044 times)

ALMEIDA

Re: Chain guards
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2008, 06:20:34 pm »
Hi,

I've just read this thread. Please consider the following ROHLOFF note.

http://www.rohloff.de/index.php?id=185&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1004&tx_ttnews[backPid]=346&cHash=c89dee50f2&L=1

Sorry, link doesn't work correctly.

Go on rohloff.de
search
and fill in HEBIE CHAINGLIDER

then you got:

27.02.2007 Important information for Hebie Chainglider user
Trouble possible using the Chainglider in combination with the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14
[translate to English:] Hebie Chainglider

Dear Rohloff - customer,

as there were occasionally problems occuring in connection with the Hebie Chainglider in the last couple of weeks, we would like to inform you about the situation. The Chainglider is an extra part, which is mounted onto a bicycle. Therefore we have no influence on possible damages on other parts the bike.

Symbol: Externer /External LinkHebie has left a report to this subject in the net.

Necessary Information and more under:
Symbol: Externer /External LinkRohloff Information to Hebie Chainglider

ALMEIDA

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:26:08 pm by ALMEIDA »

blazius

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 08:51:38 pm »
Since October 2006, Hebie has revised their design so that it will not damage the Rohloff hub shell: http://www.hebie.de/pdf/hinweis_CG_heckteil.pdf

Rontana

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2008, 08:48:15 am »
well I have just bought the rohloff specific chainglider and will be fitting it to my new sterling when it arrives. I'll try and post some pictures of the hub clearance as well as fitting.

Edit: added words to turn it into a real sentence
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:02:55 am by Rontana »

ALMEIDA

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 06:36:31 pm »
What's the HEBIE CHAINGLIDER problem?
I guess it's the possibility of getting grinding marks on the hub shell. Because the HEBIE is a "swimming" part - not fixed with screws.
So the only recommendation is to check the hub shell from time to time.

ALMEIDA

blazius

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2008, 07:51:50 pm »
What's the HEBIE CHAINGLIDER problem?
I guess it's the possibility of getting grinding marks on the hub shell. Because the HEBIE is a "swimming" part - not fixed with screws.
So the only recommendation is to check the hub shell from time to time.

In my installation (with the modified version), the Chainglider rests on the chain, not on the hub shell.  I do not think it would be possible for the glider to cause any wear on the hub.

Rontana

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2008, 12:48:54 pm »
Tried installing the chainglider last nite, and can confirm that the standard Thorn chainring is too wide. while it can be fitted, its too tight to realiticaly be used. Crank turns but with a sizable increase in resistance when fully cliped together

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 09:58:24 am »
Thanks Rontana,

That is very interesting info.  Any idea what the max width would be?  I have being thinking about adding one of these to my Wife's bike.

Thanks again
Stutho

Rontana

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2008, 01:14:30 pm »
torel mentioned earlier that the chainring should't be thicker than 3.5mm, and the info I found on Hebies site indicates that 3mm is the maximum.

Which leaves me with the question of where do I find a thin replacement chainring thats a suitible drop in replacement for the 42T 110 BCD ring that came with my sterling.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 12:33:01 pm »
Rontana,

Surly do a 42T 110BCD ring.  Surly rings are made of Steel rather than Ali.  So you are looking at a chainring that will probably do 100,000 miles (as you will be running it inside a Hebie).  I believe it is 2.1mm thick  but you would need to check.

Stutho
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:41:13 pm by stutho »

Rontana

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 10:22:50 am »
After a bit of searching and general confusement at my local bike shop I managed to obtain one of those surly steel chainrings and can confirm that it does fit within the chainglider with even a bit of free wiggle room.

Fitted the chainglider with the new chainring, and it doesnt add all that much resistance once everything is oiled up well (using the rohloff chain oil) havent had the chance to do a propper ride with it yet, will post an update and photos once I've done a decent number of miles on it

jawj

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2008, 11:42:54 pm »
Looks like everyone has had their fill of this topic so is there any way one of your admin bods could make it 'un-sticky'?

I'm sure there are far more important and pressing issues that need to find their way to the top of the index, not least 'discussions' about how rubbish the weather is, etc etc....!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 01:12:58 pm »
Done