Community > Thorn General

Torque wrench

(1/1)

avdave:
It's about time I adjusted my eccentric bottom bracket. Can any of you recommend a suitable torque wrench for the purpose. I've looked at the Park units but it seems that they could be awkward to use if you have to be looking at a guage rather than listening for a click. Any advice would be most welcome.

stutho:
Hi avdave,

The torque of the EBB bolts in NOT critical there is quite a bit of leeway - 10 to 17NmM (from memory).  As a general rule I don't use a torque wrench - just my standard 1/2 inch socket wrench with a 15mm socket - however I don't hold the wrench by the handle instead I place my hand over the socket, thereby reducing the maximum developed torque, and tighten away.  The small adjustment spanner that came with your bike should also but you in the right range.  The BIG mistake would be to use a ½ inch wrench with you hand on the handle as this WILL take you way past 17Nm, and probably past 50Nm!      

I own several torque wrenches /screwdrivers in different sizes but don't often use them.  If you definitely want one then Torqueleader make some excellent tools but don't buy new, as they are very expensive - try Ebay.  

graham:
I use a normal ring spanner. It's easier to get just right on the shallow heads of the screws without touching the paint on the bike, and stays put better than an open-ender.
Then I just do the screws up till they feel fairly tight without having to strain myself.
A 15mm ring spanner, whilst longer than the Thorn EBB tool, is likely to still give a lot less leverage than even a 3/8" ratchet with socket attached.
I have a 3/8" torque wrench but have never used it for this job.

Eric:
I got a good 1/4" drive one from Screwfix (on line) for about £25. This - coupled with a 1/4" socket and bit set from Halfords - is ideal for working on bikes. I have a lot of carbon components on my racing bikes for which the right torque is paramount. Adaptors (1/4" to 1/2" drive etc) a available for peanuts on Ebay - I think my whole set-up cost less than £50!

avdave:
Thanks for the advice. I'll use the tool that came with the bike as it seems I'm not likley to overtighten the EBB bolts with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version