Technical > Transmission

How do my teeth look?

<< < (5/7) > >>

steve216c:

--- Quote from: Andre Jute on May 03, 2022, 11:58:50 pm ---… I think it is more likely that you when you bought the bike you had such stars in your eyes that you never noticed the previous owner had been careless.

When I was a young man, my girlfriend used to say I bought cars with my eyes closed, so I know the feeling of discovering the blemishes later…

--- End quote ---

This is a feasible option. Not sure about having stars in my eyes as I often pick out superficial blemishes on big purchases to intentionally get a better bargaining price when haggling. This is always  with the expectation  that any perfect item would look well blemished  after a week with my 3 kids at home chez Steve 😵‍💫

A week away from my silver wedding, I’ve come to the conclusion that true happiness comes not from seeking to keep everything in showroom condition but from accepting and embracing  blemishes and imperfections.

Matt2matt2002:
I’ve come to the conclusion that true happiness comes not from seeking to keep everything in showroom condition but from accepting and embracing  blemishes and imperfections.

Happiness is the only thing that doubles when shared.

PH:

--- Quote from: steve216c on May 03, 2022, 02:59:11 pm ---Although I reckon I could have squeezed up to 15,000km on this combo of sprocket and chain,

--- End quote ---
Well done on an impressive amount of wear, I've never worn a sprocket down that far, not even close  :o
I'm a little surprised you've done so in the distance, particularly as much of it has been protected in a chainglider. 
I'm getting better than that with an exposed chain, though it may have an easier life than those commute photos you've posted indicate.  I replaced chain, sprocket and chainring when I rebuilt my Mercury two yeas ago, since then it's done 9,200 recorded km, plus a few unrecorded, it's been adjusted once and looks hardly worn.  It's hard to account for the difference, it's used in all weather, mostly on road though that includes some filthy lanes, kept reasonably clean with a wipe and well lubricated.  I wonder how much of a difference the components make?  I'm using the top of the range KMC chain and when I rebuilt it, I upped the size of chainring and sprocket to 47/19 to spread the wear.   
As always, such things are anecdotal, I don't know how it would be possible to account for all the variables.

PH:

--- Quote from: steve216c on May 03, 2022, 02:59:11 pm ---

--- End quote ---
That does look like chain rub, my secondhand hub has a bit of that though not as much, I've assumed the chain has unshipped once or twice, it wouldn't take much to go through the anodising.  I'd be tempted to coat it in something to gauge if it reoccurs, nail varnish maybe?

mickeg:
I wonder if this would cover that up?
https://www.rohloff.de/en/shop/product-detail?tt_products%5Bproduct%5D=99&cHash=39ad2827473f82aa7d026b57497c13bd

I have never seen one so not sure how it is used.  I just remember reading of it when I was researching Rohloff before I bought.

At one time I accidently had the chain on the hub and moved the crank, that put a very slight scoring on the black hub that is noticeable when I clean it.  I just took a photo of it.  It has had a few hundred miles on gravel since last cleaning.  I have the thread-on sprocket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version