Community > Thorn General

Thorn Mercury 650b owner review

<< < (2/17) > >>

Mike Ayling:
Hi Moronic

The Mullum Mullum has plenty of opportunities for those three gear drops and quite a few twists and turns!

Mike

PH:
Excellent initial review Moronic, I recognise much of that and my experience is similar. 
It took me a little longer to love my Mercury, I liked it from the first ride (And I already had 15 years with the Rohloff) but it took a while to appreciate where it excels.
Getting used to the Rohloff also comes with time, after a while it becomes so instinctive you forget about it and it rarely catches you out. It's other bikes that remind you, I was on a club ride yesterday and everyone else was crunching down gears and cursing when we rounded a corner for an unexpected sharp rise, a casual flick of the wrist and I'd dropped the equivalent of a chainring and couple of sprockets  ;D

Moronic:
Thanks PH. Like and love - I've pondered that. Yes for me it was love at first ride, but doubtless that is about where I've come from and what I was hoping for.

I repeated my ride from last Friday today, this time with a friend who had a cyclometer that he reckons is accurate. It was a bit further than I had thought - 72km or 45 miles. Ive also been out a few times during the week, so did the distance pretty comfortably today.

Every now and again a purchase exceeds all my expectations and fulfills all my hopes. I've even softened in my assessment of the rear triangle and its compliance.

What kept surprising me most today was the fit. I'm so comfortable.  :D

Moronic:
A teaser,

A tour is scheduled for the week beginning 9 August. Short and sweet: I think about 275 km through south Gippsland, Victoria, Australia, over five days.

It is looking like all four panniers, although it is also possible I will take just two fronts and an Ortlieb trunk bag (incompatible with back rollers on my Tubus Vega rack).

Right now we're in an extended snap lockdown that restricts us to 5km from home, so maybe nothing will happen.

Threw some more air into the rear tyre for the load, and tonight rode with that 45psi and no panniers on the 50mm Schwalbe G One Speeds. All of a sudden the tyres were feeding lenough load into the frame that I could feel the frame respond.

All I can say is a) Wow!; and b) Andy B's raves seem ridiculously anaemic. He's a genius, and of course he can't say that but I can.

PH:
Looking good, hope you can get away.
Here in the UK what looked like the end of restrictions may turn out to be a very short break between them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version