Author Topic: Hydration  (Read 6685 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: Hydration
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 01:37:24 am »
V interesting reading

So, to simply this a bit for me ....

Is there a guide to roughly how much water I should drink say for every hour of riding? Or every 10 miles ?

I’m from U.K.

And by how much would this need to increase if the temperature went from  say 10 degree C to 20 degrees C ?

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 08:59:13 am »
There's no simple answer to this as much depend on how fast you are pushing yourself, your personal metabolism and how much natural insulation you have (ie body fat). For me, at my normal speed (averaging 12 mph and only a rack bag) a temperature up to about 17C means progressively removing layers of clothing which I've put on to avoid being too cold overall but there's probably a bit of sweating going up the worst hills. Above 17C I'm down to a short sleeved top and reckon that 20C is a pleasant cycling temperature. I've been round a 47 mile circuit several times with the temperature in the 15 to 20C range and not drunk anything during the ride (but did stop to remove a layer of clothing). However, on getting home I've drunk about 1 litre of water with an electrolyte tablet to make sure there are no adverse after-effects.

Once the forecast temperature is above 20C and rising then I need to consider hydration. A big drink with an electrolyte tablet before I start is the first precaution which should defer the need for the next drink for at least a couple of hours. Individual experience will vary. I've got a friend who will be sweating buckets when I'm thinking that the temperature is a little chilly.

PH

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 11:27:17 am »
So, to simply this a bit for me ....
Is there a guide to roughly how much water I should drink say for every hour of riding? Or every 10 miles ?
As John says we are all different, though I'd have said a bit different, we all follow the same rules of biology.
Sports nutritionists tend to recommend 500ml an hour during reasonable exertion, that's a decent starting point, you may find you prefer 300 or 700, but those are probably the extremes.  Remember this is in addition to the 2 litres a day we're recommended to drink anyway. Also worth looking at what counts, tea, coffee, skimmed milk... and what doesn't. 
It mainly trial and error, there's plenty of information you body is telling you, as long as you listen.  If you find yourself feeling really thirsty, you've already left it too late, there's plenty of charts for the urine colour a well hydrated body will produce and if you don't find yourself needing to let some out every couple of hours, you're probably not drinking enough. 
In hotter weather, you will need a bit more, but it isn't a huge amount, again trial and error, but for me it's around an extra 10%.  Sweat isn't always a good guide, when riding it can evaporate so quickly you might not notice. it's easier to drink enough when it's warm, the inclination is there.  What's harder is to get in the habit of drinking enough when it's cooler, and habit is what you're ideally looking for.  Choosing drinks you'll want can be helpful here, a bit of flavour, tea in a flask...
If you don't drink enough, it can spoil your day, if you drink a bit too much the worst that happens is you need to stop more often to let some out. If you were at the elite level of athleticism, getting it perfect would be important, getting it about right is good enough for the rest of us.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 11:59:59 am »
PH

funnily enough, when I used to commute to work which took me just over 1 hour , I took a 500ml size bottle of water with me , not really thinking about needing to drink water or drink a certain amount

But that 500ml seemed to do the trick and never felt rough or dehydrated.

So before I wrote this post I kind of had a rough thought that 500ml per hour might be a good rough starting point which I could add or subtract from as needed.

I guess it’s all a bit of trial and error. No shortcut to experience eh?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 12:14:16 pm »
JohnR

Do you wear shorts or trousers ?

I just bought a new pair of craghopper trousers which are lightweight and baggy. I guess they would be the kind hill walkers/climbers would wear with a few pockets .

I tried on a variety of different ones and settled on a pair . Not sure if I will like them better than my previous gore goretex cycling trousers , but fancied trying something different for cycling .

I noticed that there comes a change in temp where I can no longer tolerate the heat while wearing trousers/jeans and have to switch to shorts or Il end up feeling rough and overheated. So I’m hearing that in mind for cycling.

I like the idea of loading up on water before even going out on a ride. I need to back into that habit of taking in more water in the morning.

I do diet experiments from time to time and I landed on something that seemed to work quite good for me which if I remember was eating 4 good meals a day . Before the meals I would drink my water. Which is supposed to aid digestion if you time it right.

I found it easier to think about the water as being part of the meal, than having to think about drinking water all day intermittently which is tough to do

ourclarioncall

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 12:22:09 pm »
Anyone ever get cycling related heat exhaustion or heat stroke ? Or bad dehydration?

A couple of my daughters were feeling rough after the sun , which I naggingly warned one of  them about before hand. They felt better quite quickly after I got a fan on them and gave them cloths dipped in cold water to wipe over their face and arms etc.

My friend who is a joiner in Ayrshire told me he was at work yesterday and started feeling dizzy after being out in sun  . Had to abandon tools. Went home and said every time he stood up he vommited (sorry for the details !)

It just shows how easy it is to get caught out by unexpected weather or just not being used to the heat of not being prepared , or not knowing how hydrated you actually are etc.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 01:00:32 pm »
I had it on one of my personal mega ride in a day from Inverness to my home in Inverurie.
120+ miles.
Over here in Scotlandshire the hot sun is quite rare, so was caught out.
30 mins in the shade had me back on the road but it taught me a lesson.

Matt ( who likes to learn 5 new things a day ).
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 01:55:27 pm »
JohnR

Do you wear shorts or trousers ?
That depends on the temperature. My threshold for not feeling cold in shorts is 12C. The warm weather shorts are Endura Hummvee and for hotter weather it's a pair of these Dare2b Renew shorts https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dare-2b-Repellent-Drying-Pocket/dp/B07L1MN33T which are lighter. Both are worn without any padded liner although the Hummvee shorts are supplied with one. However, a versatile alternative is a pair of the Hummvee zip-off trousers which covers both the short and long trouser options (a pair of these plus the Renew shorts and some waterproof trousers are packed as my LEJOG legwear). And if it's warm enough for shorts than it's sandals on the feet with thick / thin / no socks depending on the temperature. After trying several pairs I've decided on these https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/35893030 which have a fairly thick sole with some tread and grip my pedals nicely.

Anyone ever get cycling related heat exhaustion or heat stroke ? Or bad dehydration?
I've worked (but not cycled) in hot countries and a headache is my first sign of dehydration. Life is easier these days with rehydration salts (originally developed as part of the treatment for Cholera) and tablets being easily available as it's the salt deficit rather than the water deficit which creates the big problems. The Mercury has three mounts for bottle cages so I'll be carrying three 0.7 litre bottles on the LEJOG. However, if temperatures are moderate then one will probably be empty. As already noted, I try to emulate a camel and have a good drink before setting out so arguably I'm still carrying the water but not in a bottle. If the temperature is heading above 20C then I'll put an electrolyte tablet in the pre-ride drink.

Rouleur834

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 05:19:29 pm »
The appliance of science!

I came across the website www.mysportscience.com sometime ago. It's owned by Asker Jeukendrup and covers a lot of interesting subject areas in relation to sports nutrition and hydration amongst other things.

Just found this on the site, https://www.mysportscience.com/post/2017/07/14/how-much-do-you-sweat. Might remove some of the trial and error whilst giving something more tailored to the individual.

Time to get the scales out and experiment.

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 05:54:48 pm »
Remember that most bike touring is recreation and a lot of the sports science is based on people operating at near their physical limit. The only time I really get my heart working is going up a serious hill. The rest of the time I'm cruising.

Rouleur834

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 06:22:33 pm »
Remember that most bike touring is recreation and a lot of the sports science is based on people operating at near their physical limit. The only time I really get my heart working is going up a serious hill. The rest of the time I'm cruising.

Agree, up to a point. However, if I take measurements at my usual intensity, giving due consideration to temperature and other factors, those measurements will be tailored to me. Equally, if I repeat the exercise at a different intensity, the results will still be tailored to me just at a different level. To me, that makes sense as I will have a basic idea of my need for hydration at various levels of intensity. Works for me!

onmybike

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 06:43:25 am »

Yes - once in southern India. On a very hot day like the one in question my usual riding pattern would have had me in an air-conditioned hotel room before noon. However, on this particular day I was caught out in the open on a shadeless road for hours in the heat of the day. Water wasn't a problem as I carried about 4 litres. At some point in the afternoon I started feeling pretty shaky and almost toppled over from dizziness the moment I stopped for a snack. Fortunately I spied a large banyan tree and Hindu shrine just up the road and once there flaked out on a convienient bench. I was utterly out of it for a good few hours, waking occasionally to chug down a gulp of hot water (yuck!) from my bottles or exchange greetings with whoever else was sharing the shade on an adjacent bench. Some time in the afternoon a thunderstorm rolled through and the sudden drop in temps and refreshingly cool rain drops seemed to recharge my batteries entirely. I still had an hour or more to ride but was kind of surprised that once underway felt no ill-effects whatsoever from the earlier heat stress.

Another time in the far west of New South Wales (Australia), nearing Broken Hill I ran low on water thanks to pig headed stubbornness. I had calculated that I had enough water in a pinch (allowing for a night camping) but decided I'd pay for some extra anyway at the only roadhouse I'd encounter on this particular road. All the river beds I'd passed had been dry or blue-green algae affected otherwise I'd simply have filtered some extra. The road house had only tiny 500ml bottles and wanted about $5 each, making water the single most expensive drink they sold by far. Hoping for better value I asked if they had larger bottles and was rudely told 'take it or leave it'. I left it... and finding their attitude so grim declined on buying the cheaper sugary colas on offer either.

The next morning by the time I'd had porridge I had about 500ml of water left and 50ish km to Broken Hill. As I started riding I was doing the sums in my head and started thinking 'no worries, it's coolish and the riding is easy - a sip every 3km should do it'. This of course was deadly! I began obsessively counting the kms, my mouth becoming dryer and dryer with every minute and the more I thought about it the worse it became. Each sip offered about 500 metres of relief until the obsession kicked in again. Finally, with about 20km to go I came to my senses, realised the chances of death by dehydration in the next hour were essentially zero, chugged all the remaining water, then thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the ride.

PH

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2021, 09:55:44 am »
Yes it's all relative, though most of my cycling is at a higher intensity than most of the other things I do.  Not flat out, except when absolutely necessary, but still enough to increase the need for hydration.
I've only had a glance at Rouleur's link, I've already learnt what works for me, I have no need to refine it further.  Even from that glance it seems to emphasise how different we are, yet even during intense effort the vast majority of people sweat at a rate within a fairly narrow band (Google says 0.8 - 1.2 litres an hour) so it's not like some people sweat three or four times as much as others.  Half that for moderate exertion and we're back to the 0.5 an hour, which as I said is probably a good starting point.

martinf

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2021, 01:11:22 pm »
Sports nutritionists tend to recommend 500ml an hour during reasonable exertion

That seems about right for me in reasonable temperatures.

47 km ride this morning. I drunk about 750 ml around breakfast time, about 500 ml halfway through the ride and about 500 ml on arrival.

Temp about 17°C at start, about 23°C finish.

In winter I drink less. And if it gets hot I drink a lot more.

Above 35°C I try not to cycle (or go outside for any reason), but when doing survey work (by bicycle) during the 2003 heatwave I did have a few days when temperatures went above 40°C. I consumed very large quantities of water, some extra salt, and I spent quite a lot of time resting in shade to recover between periods out in the open. I also started as early as possible, had a long "siesta" break around midday, and compensated by working in the evening.