Author Topic: My other Mercury  (Read 3983 times)

PH

My other Mercury
« on: April 20, 2021, 04:09:56 pm »
From this
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13852.0

To this
Alfie by Paul, on Flickr

I blame covid boredom, I didn't really need another bike, I ended up spending more than intended and it's causing some storage issues...
But, I didn't want to sell the written off frame, yet it was too good to gather dust, I had an Alfine hub and a few other parts doing nothing, SJS had some cheap parts on offer, fork, chainset... and I hadn't practised wheel building for a while.
Clocked up 100 miles so far, though no rides over 30, it's basically the same bike though there have been some surprises.  The difference between the touring fork and 853 one is more noticeable than expected.  It's 1.4kg lighter, no guards, dynamo and lighter hub, I've geared it right down, so it should be capable of most of my riding though I can easily spin out.  No guards = dirty, of course I knew this, but it's a while since I realised just how much and how quickly! Despite these things, each time I use it I get loads of PB's on Strava! I'm not sure I understand how!! 
I'm undecided where it'll fit in with my other bikes, if I ever want to go camping with a Mercury I can easily swap the Rohloff into this one and use it, but if I go camping it's more likely to be on another bike.  Maybe the biggest advantage will come from me being a little less precious about it.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:13:29 pm by PH »

martinf

Re: My other Mercury
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:09:41 pm »
But, I didn't want to sell the written off frame, yet it was too good to gather dust

In the photo it looks like it's gathering dust in the best possible way.

I had an Alfine hub

Alfine 11 or 8?

I like the Shimano 8 speed hubs (mine are Nexus Premium rather than Alfine, but pretty much the same inside), and apart from one large jump in the gearing I think they compare well with the Rohloff for local use (no really challenging hills to justify the Rohloff range).

If your Alfine is an 11 how does it feel compared to the Rohloff on your other Mercury?

The difference between the touring fork and 853 one is more noticeable than expected.

Difference in comfort or something else? Which fork is better for off-tarmac use? 

Maybe the biggest advantage will come from me being a little less precious about it.

Yes. I think it is nice to have a (relatively) low-value bike that is still good to ride, but can be (ab)used or locked up somewhere without worrying so much about damage or theft. Downside is storage space. I'm lucky in having a big garage and no car.

energyman

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:43:19 pm »
Beautiful in its simplicity !

PH

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 11:37:22 am »
Alfine 11 or 8? 
8, it's been on a couple of bikes, I like it, but find the range a bit limiting. It's geared lower than it has been previously about 27 - 83", I'll see how that goes.   I've been spoilt by the Rohloff!
Difference in comfort or something else? Which fork is better for off-tarmac use? 
Yes comfort, though that might be putting it a bit strong, I can certainly feel the road surface more. I swapped wheels to confirm it was the fork rather than anything else. I haven't done any long rides with it, not sure I will, I can't see it being an issue even if I did, and maybe front luggage would dampen it.  I choose the 853 fork on my proper Mercury for aesthetics, I had no doubt it was a comfortable fork, and I'm not suggesting the touring fork is uncomfortable, I'm just  a little taken back by how noticeable the difference is.
Off road?  We're spoilt for choice round here with well surfaced cycle tracks like the one pictured, many of the local roads are rougher than that! I suppose the more robust touring fork might be a better choice if I was expecting to ride anything more adventurous, but then it probably wouldn't be on these bikes. 
I do occasionally get caught out of course, this went on for a lot longer than expected, but apart from being slow going wasn't a problem

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 11:39:59 am by PH »

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 09:47:20 pm »
I've got some experience with both the 8 and 11 speed Shimano hubs. My approximate comparison between the Rohloff and Shimano gear ranges if set up to have the same gearing in mid-range is:
(i) The Alfine 11 is roughly similar to a Rohloff using 2nd to 13th gears and missing 3rd gear.
(ii) The Alfine / Nexus 8 is roughly similar to a Rohloff using 3rd to 12th and missing 4th gear.

The Shimano gearing steps are a bit irregular with a big gap between 2nd and bottom gears. This is very noticeable to anyone familiar with the Rohloff's uniform steps.

The Alfine 11 hub uses oil (with an easy oil change) whereas the 8 speed hubs use grease which has to be refreshed from time to time by removing the gears from the shell.

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 08:14:53 am »
Lovely bike, I like the simplicity. I can see why single speed machines with mudguards grabbed the eye of the fashionable. Aesthetically, mudguards and derailleurs really interrupt the lines of a bike. But I also like the functionality of your build with the hub gears and clear purpose.  It’s not an obvious Thorn, but shows the flexibility of the build. Nice colour as well!