Author Topic: Brake levers for Jones Bar Rohloff build + TRP Spyre C Mechanical Disc Brakes?  (Read 3502 times)

PaddyRiot

Niche question here - looking for expedition reliable brake levers for my Rohloff twist shift + riser Jones Bar build.

Bike = 2020 Fargo
Bar = Jones HBar - the 2.5 riser ( I like v upright )
Current brakes are TRP Spyre C Mechanical Disc Brake - want to use these if possible

Need to change the levers from standard drop levers, to flat bar.

I like a bit of rubber grip on levers, better in rain, less freezing on cold days.

Thanks!

PH

Assuming the Jones bars are standard 22.2 flat bar diameter then any flat bar calliper lever will be fine with those brakes, you just have to be careful to avoid V brake levers as they have a different cable pull (The equivalent TRP brake for those is the otherwise identical Spyke) I've used the cheapest Shimano levers, BL-R550, and they're fine,  usually to be found for around £20, though things ain't usual at the moment...
There's also some brake levers that can be switched between V brake and road pull, but I haven't used any.  I did try an Avid Speed lever where you can dial in the cable pull, along with road BB7 brakes, but it wasn't ideal.
I don't know of any levers that come rubber coated, but I like these on one bike and may get some for another (They're available form several UK retailers and Ebay)
https://miles-wide.com/product/sticky-fingers-brake-grips/

PaddyRiot

Hey thanks PH,

Like those slip on doo-hickeys. I had brake levers once (I think Tektro) on a Dawes Nomad (nice idea but flawed execution alfine tourer) that I did the 101 highway on.

They just had this strip of rubber (or similar) on the front of the lever, really helped with grip in wet.

mickeg

I like a bit of rubber grip on levers, better in rain, less freezing on cold days.

I used to use old style cloth handlebar tape on levers for the reason that you cite, but do not do that any more.  Instead I wear long finger gloves in cold or rain.

JohnR

Thorn fitted my ex-demo Mercury with TRP Spyke M disc brakes and Shimano Deore XT trekking V brake levers (the bike info doesn't state the exact model). Those levers work fine.

PH

Thorn fitted my ex-demo Mercury with TRP Spyke M disc brakes and Shimano Deore XT trekking V brake levers (the bike info doesn't state the exact model). Those levers work fine.
??
Those levers will not work well with the Spyre brakes being asked about.

JohnR

??
Those levers will not work well with the Spyre brakes being asked about.
My confusion. The names are too similar.