Technical > Lighting and Electronics

Rear Dynamo light

<< < (2/6) > >>

Andre Jute:

--- Quote ---Dynamo B&M Line Plus on the rear rack.
Battery (rechargeable AA cells) Cateye LD1100 on the seatpost.
--- End quote ---

+1. Or +2 as the case may be. It's a combo that works very well.

The LD1100 runs about 200 hours on a set of batteries if set to blink, which is the purpose of having it on the bike. I don't know any other lamp that runs longer on a pair of torch batteries.

ourclarioncall:
Curious to know if you can run 2 rear lights and 1 front light off the Dynamo ?

A static rear and a flashing rear would be cool, along with the single static  at the front

Unless there are Dynamo lights that can do both

PH:

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on April 22, 2021, 06:28:11 pm ---Curious to know if you can run 2 rear lights and 1 front light off the Dynamo ?

A static rear and a flashing rear would be cool, along with the single static  at the front

Unless there are Dynamo lights that can do both

--- End quote ---
Yes you can run two rear of a dynamo, but I don't think there's any flashing dynamo lights.
But why would you want to?  Wouldn't you be better off with separate power sources, so that if one failed, you'd still have the other.

martinf:

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on April 22, 2021, 06:28:11 pm ---Curious to know if you can run 2 rear lights and 1 front light off the Dynamo ?

--- End quote ---

No problem running 2 rear lamps and a high-output LED front lamp from a dynohub. I do this on several bikes because mudguard and rack lamps are in different positions, so I think there is more chance of being seen from a vehicle. And to provide some redundancy for lamp or wiring failure, this obviously doesn't help if the dynamo fails.

A battery-powered flashing lamp plus 1 dynamo rear lamp is better than 2 dynamo rear lamps. It will still work if the dynamo fails, the Cateye has a different kind of light source (bright points rather than the larger but less bright patches of the B&M lamps), plus the flashing option. And the sideways pointing LEDS on the Cateye LD1100 (and maybe some similar models) improve visibility at junctions and on roundabouts.

I think 2 dynamo rear lamps plus 1 battery powered rear lamp is an even better option, and the B&M Line Plus and Secula are quite lightweight, so having an extra doesn't add much weight.

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---...A static rear and a flashing rear would be cool, along with the single static  at the front...
--- End quote ---
It isn't super-difficult to power an LED blinky with a dynohub if you make and insert a rectifier inline to convert AC power to DC. I did this on my Extrawheel trailer project ( http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4953.msg41441#msg41441 ) so the SON dynohub could power the B&M Line Plus taillight with 500mA @ 5vdc (picture of circuitry below). I did the same to power an LED blinky on another bike I have, just with lower voltage. Worked fine but I eventually reverted to battery power for reasons of redundancy, as PH  suggested. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Batteries last a long time in LED blinkys and it is nice to a spare light powered by different means.

Best,

Dan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version