Author Topic: Spring cleaning  (Read 1692 times)

Matt2matt2002

Spring cleaning
« on: March 13, 2021, 04:56:53 pm »
Found a light brown ' rust' ring around the edge of my Rohloff.
Hope the pictures show it.
Cleaned off with oily rag but still there to some degree.
A few months ago the bike was on its side over night and a pool of oil appeared on the shed floor.
No other running issues with the hub.

Hub has never been serviced. Oil changed annually or sooner.
Thoughts folks?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

Re: Spring cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 07:30:38 pm »
I don't know what would cause that, but if I've understood Rohloff's exploded diagram correctly that's the edge of a seal.  So, other than doing as the name suggests, not a critical component.
If it were mine, I wouldn't be unduly worried if it was running smoothly, though I would want to investigate further.  I'd probably take the axle ring off as if I was going to change the cable (And do that at the same time if it was anything like due - Rohloff have a YouTube demo) That will both give you a better look and a chance to clean it up thoroughly.  If it all looked clean then I'd re-assemble with a generous smear of something to inhibit corrosion (I use marine grease for these sorts of jobs, but there's plenty of options) and monitor it for leaking.  If there was any corrosion in that recess, I'd be a little more concerned. The main thing I'd want to satisfy myself about is that the corrosion was from the outside in, rather than the other way round.
SJS used to list the parts to replace the seals, originally along with the tools to do it, then as a workshop job and now it's not listed at all.  I don't know if this is because of the way the hubs have changed, or something else.  My older hub sometimes leaks, or more likely lets water in and then lets oily water out again, but only after a particularly wet ride, I really ought to get it sorted, but in the meantime I give it a flush and fresh oil when it happens.
If you're concerned about internal corrosion, you can have a look, I'm not recommending it, but the instructions are here
https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/handbook/speedhub/workshop/gear-unit-replacement

Matt2matt2002

Re: Spring cleaning
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 08:11:42 pm »
Many thanks.
Lots to take in there.
I agree, it's the outside of the seal.
I'll clean it up and keep an eye on it.

I checked out that video link.
A little beyond my little shed ability.
Much as I'd love to tinker with the innards.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink