Author Topic: gates drive  (Read 10207 times)

JohnR

Re: gates drive
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2021, 12:40:49 pm »
i will tell you that the belt drive beats a chain on every count its like riding with new chain and sprockets every mile with no cleaning or adjusting spending 10 mins oiling your chain i don not even spend one min a month looking after it 4200 miles done on a veer belt 4200 miles done on a gates drive again no service done i stand over a mates shoulder waching chain service a lot of hasel that i can see wont have to do all that over the next 6 years
Wait until winter arrives and the roads get muckier and the bike starts to make disconcerting creaking noises which I eventually fixed by giving the belt a thorough scrub. Hence, on balance, I concluded that a chain in a Chainglider was just as low maintenance while being much cheaper to replace and also much cheaper to modify the gearing ratio.

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2021, 07:30:20 am »
been using chains for 40 years chain gliders for 3 years. chain glider was thown in the bin absolute rubish. been using a belt for 4500 miles on a thorn seen a fair share of filthy roads not even cleaned it. been  using a gates drive on a cube for 4 years (500 miles) in winter and summer the same so beats a chain hands down

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2021, 09:21:10 am »
Pink bunny: what was your problem with the Chainglider?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2021, 07:46:28 am »
problems with the chain glider it was swine to remove when getting a puncture 2nd prob as the chain went slack with wear made a terible noise 3rd prob the chain wore just as quick with it or without it (4 chains trialed) 4th prob its bigest crime it fell apart after the first few miles so had to use cable ties to keep it together so in the bin it went have met people who use them and swear by them i on the other hand swear at them (chain glider not people)

Andre Jute

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2021, 09:34:38 am »
It would be undue punishment to expect you to torture yourself further with Chaingliders, Pink Bunny. The Chainglider works for quite a few perfectly reasonable people here, but I've never heard of a bicycle component that got along with absolutely everyone. I respect, for instance, people so tough they don't even fear a wedgie from a Brooks B17, a saddle I'm not likely to permit near any of my bikes. I prefer the Brooks saddles a man can sit on, and float on helical springs made of real steel.

Thank you for sharing your Gates Drive with us.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2021, 06:28:50 pm »
problems with the chain glider it was swine to remove when getting a puncture 2nd prob as the chain went slack with wear made a terible noise 3rd prob the chain wore just as quick with it or without it (4 chains trialed) 4th prob its bigest crime it fell apart after the first few miles so had to use cable ties to keep it together so in the bin it went have met people who use them and swear by them i on the other hand swear at them (chain glider not people)

Gosh, sorry to hear about your issues.
I've had none of them and wouldn't cycle without one on my Raven.
Strange how we see things differently. But of course, respect to your own views.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2022, 11:13:42 am »
7,000 miles done on the veer split belt drive .Sill looks like new  no probs stoprd inspecting stoped cleaning beats a chain hands down