Author Topic: Gloves for Rohloff  (Read 4380 times)

UKTony

Gloves for Rohloff
« on: January 30, 2021, 09:58:09 am »
Good morning .
I’m looking for long finger gloves for use with Rohloff Twistshifter to replace my Extremeties Windstoppers which are virtually worn out and sadly no longer available. These have faux leather panels and sticky gel areas on palms, are not lined but the Windstopper panel over back of hands and fingers when combined with silk liner gloves make them just about fit for purpose when feels-like temperatures drop to about -5 C.

I’d like a similar unlined glove that could be used with a silk liner glove for the colder winter days or, in the alternative, a lined glove that would give sufficient grip on the Rohloff twister shifter without  slippage or movement of the linings inside the glove.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
T.

Andre Jute

Re: Gloves for Rohloff
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 11:09:14 am »
I cycle in leather dress gloves which work fine with the first type of Rohloff gear change, the triangular one (which I intend to replace like for like if I can when mine wears out). In the summer I use silk-lined gloves and as the seasons progress gloves with progressively heavier linings. I no longer cycle in temps around and below zero Celsius, but when I did, used suede gloves with a thick knit-wool lining because it is impossible to find gloves of natural shorn sheepskin (as distinct from mittens). Such knit wool linings should be of Aran wool, which is apparently washed less than lesser wools, so that the wet-rejecting lanolin remains in the wool (or so I was told by a lady who want to Aran on a pilgrimage -- I leave going to such uncomfortable places to harder men than me).

Long ago, before the real sporting goods store closed and left the "sports" store for fashion victims in command (for an experiment, go in there and ask for a Shakespeare rod -- I'll bet money they don't know what it is; and as for actually functional lycra, give over, mate!), they used to stock yellow knit workmen's gloves with glass fiber woven in which was good for three seasons and most of a fourth in my mild weather, and gave much better control on fiddly buttons than leather gloves. Those gloves were a safety yellow, brand name IIRC Mikasa. They lasted forever and when dirty were machine-washable.

So is leather -- if my gloves get a bit smelly after ten years or so, or oily, I go into the shower with them on so as to preserve their shape -- but leather won't take a lot of through-washing of that nature. Still, with fine leather gloves being available once a year from Lidl for under a tenner a pair, and cheaper from China, and considering how overpriced cycle-wear is, you can buy half a dozen pairs of leather gloves when there is a style that particularly suits you, and just throw out a pair every two years, and still be quite a few beers, a Phil's bottom bracket, and a SON dynamo hub ahead of a pair of fingerless "cycling gloves" which will wear out long before leather.

Leather dress gloves have the advantage that they are easy to take off if you need to use the touch screen of your iPhone and put on again without slowing your forward pace. I especially like the style which has elastic sewn in across (but not around) the wrist, which can be a boon as the autumn shades into the winter and you want to keep the wet-bearing wind out (the notorious Irish "soft day", which means a very wet mist rolling across you like musty curtains across a theatrical stage, but not quite raindrops) but it isn't cold enough yet to wear the really thick stuff.

Since I generally cycle in street clothes even for long runs out into the countryside, I don't have any problem with how dress gloves look with lycra, and if I wore lycra, I'd wear leather all the same because for me it is extremely practical, and even economical.

julk

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:46:30 pm »
I have Ergon grips (cut short on the gear change side) with which I find I prefer no padding in my gloves.

My unpadded long finger winter gloves are from Castelli and work for me down to 0℃.

Below that, if I cycle, I also use extra large Altura overgloves with thinsulate padding all round and a Sympatex membrane for weather resistance. These are toasty on the rare occasions they are in use.
Julian.

energyman

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 06:51:23 pm »
Ergon GP1's and very cosy fleecy waterproof gloves from Aldi  for winter use and Aldi glove liners with the fingers cut off for summer.

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 08:42:41 pm »
I've not had a whole lot of luck using gloves of any kind for cold/wet weather cycling.  My general approach has been to use uninsulated gloves with a Goretex liner, and with those, I'd use either a thin merino or polypro inner, or a thicker merino cool-weather cycling glove. (Giro make a nice example.)

Problem with that has always been bulkiness -- the only effective over gloves I've found were a pair of North Face items I also used for x-country skiing, and motorcycling.  I've used them on my Raven-mit-Rohloff (for example, in my 2016 ride through the Rockies & Cascadia), but they're not really well-suited to a bike's controls.

Recently, I've tried these "lobster-claw" overgloves:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-602/Drencher-Gloves?colour=BK000

They're much lighter and less bulky than my NF gloves, and seem to work quite well with either a lightweight inner or a heavier merino.

I think that Outdoor Research in the US offer a pair of lightweight & good-quality conventional Goretex overgloves, but I haven't found a pair here in Ottawa.

This is a FWIW offering -- I can't claim to have found a surefire fix.  Good luck!

UKTony

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 02:58:59 pm »
Many thanks to all for the inputs, which I’ll look in to, and especially Andre for having everything covered (except in the shower) and for conjouring up in my mind some wonderful, if somewhat disturbing,  images (taking gloves off to use phone whilst riding?😦). I can see the attraction of natural materials though, in fact I might dig out my old circa late 1960s Dachstein mitts (oily wool, shrunk and felt-like) - still available at https://www.climbers-shop.com/1377025/products/dachstein-mitts.aspx
and see if they’re compatible with the Twistshifter 🙂.

At the moment the jury’s still out. I have delved a bit and discovered that Sealskinz produce a number of waterproof and/or insulated gloves that feature,  “Zero liner movement providing  excellent control”.   I haven’t seen this feature mentioned by other manufacturers so this is promising.
T.

julk

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 08:10:36 pm »
I have a pair of Sealskinz gloves which I used prior to getting the Castelli gloves.
I found I got quite sweaty hands in the Sealskinz, the breathability factor was too low for my use.
Julian.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 08:57:20 pm »
I have a pair of Ground Effect gloves which are ok for handling the Rohloff shifter.

I don't know whether they would keep your hands warm in very cold conditions.

Mike

in4

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 03:06:18 am »
I found Sealskinz breathable gloves to be awful. Awful because the er porelle breathable membrane does not work. They are however well made and tough. They are generously sized, offer good protection and do not inhibit gear changing using the rohloff twist shifter.  Perhaps I run ‘hot’ but my hands are soaking after an hour’s moderate riding. Very good for gardening now!

PH

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 08:09:11 pm »
I don't have any recommendations, even though i do have a big box full of gloves.  My experience is the very best of them only work well in a very limited set of circumstances.  I've also learnt that spending more doesn't always get a better glove. If I'm out all day in changeable weather, like today, I might carry two pairs in addition to those I'm wearing.  having cold wet hands (And feet) when you still have to be out in it for hours is unbearable. 
This winter I'm wearing some work gloves from this impressive range
https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-gloves.html?scroll=5124
and although the two pairs I'm trying are not perfect, they're at least as good as some cycling specific gloves I've bought at twice the price.

But - what's intrigued me about this thread, is the idea that the Rohloff shifter has some requirement that isn't covered by all gloves.  That hasn't been my experience, however good or bad a glove has been in other regards, it's always been fine for shifting.  Is the issue wear?  maybe I don't normally keep them long enough for that to be a problem, though summer mitts seem to last as well with a Rohloff as with anything else.

UKTony

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 11:08:40 pm »
PH - Thanks for this. It’s to do with the design of a glove and suitability to enable positive shifting of the twistshifter.  I’ve had mitts with a lining that slips or moves against the inside of the outer layer of the glove so ones grip whilst turning the shifter is less positive. It is less of an issue with the latest  more nobbly Twistshifter Light (Wave) Design rubber grip than the earlier Twistshifter Light rubber grip.  The unlined Extremeties gloves that I’ll need to replace soon because after a few years they’re starting to fall apart, have been ideal because they give very positive grip needed especially in circs. requiring quick shifting and on colder days  I can layer up by adding silk liner gloves without losing the positive grip.

steve216c

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 09:22:18 am »
Hmmm, gloves for Rohloff and different gloves for Shimano and co? Really?

I have multiple pairs of gloves and there is a difference on requirements based on how they wear. But I'm not sure I'd wear a premium brand just for my Rohloff shifter. For me palm comfort (i.e padding in that area) so as not to get numbness is more important to me than wearing out from gear use. I also have a habit of losing a single glove every now and then so often buy 2 or 3 pairs when reduced in price for spares in the hope that if I do lose a couple along the way, that I will have an opposite from a matching set left over at the end. I also find that my different gloves all work better in different circumstances. Waterproof can be sweaty if not cooled by the rain. My thermal gloves are horrible if they get wet. I have some 3 layered winter gloves that are good when way under zero, but horrible to get on and off as inner skin pulls out with fingers when taking off and is a pain to match up to middle and out gloves if you let that happen. And I have neoprene ones that work well in light rain scearios and not so sweaty as my waterproof ones get in spring/autumn temperatures. But in heavy rain my hands eventually get wet.

In double digit temperatures I generally prefer fingerless bike gloves, but notice that my thumb has developed a roughened thicker skin where it grips the twister since getting a Rohloff bike.

I can still use the pictured gloves with their 'Shimano-thumb' holes (note the repair patch! which eventually gave up too). The Shimano pair has smaller holes on other glove due to 3 ring shifter getting less use.

And a pair with Rohloff-twister fatigue only worn right glove on the arch between thumb and index finger

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

UKTony

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 10:36:25 am »
Steve216c “I also have a habit of losing a single glove every now and then so often buy 2 or 3 pairs when reduced in price for spares in the hope that if I do lose a couple along the way, that I will have an opposite from a matching set left over at the end.”

You copy this old idea except using the cheap option of a bit of string stitched to your gloves

https://www.catherinetough.co.uk/products/kids-pink-smokey-blue-stripy-lambswool-mittens-on-a-string?variant=31684690608188&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2018-10-28&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyPHio4rf7gIV0N_tCh2shQmEEAQYDSABEgIStfD_BwE

Or this, though if your gloves don’t already incorporate small loops on the cuffs you’d need to add them yourself

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/clothing/gloves-mittens/hestra-handcuff-mens-size-8-11-black__37392?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=81871&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjLSh5Irf7gIVR7DtCh3HXwx0EAQYCCABEgKFBvD_BwE

🙂

Thanks for everyone’s input.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 10:57:46 am »
Here's the warmest of my cycling gloves. I think they came from M&S. I've checked and the lining is stitched to the outer in the area of the palm underneath the material with the little rubbery lumps. Until seeing the photo above I hadn't checked for wear from Rohloff shifter. It's there but I think I've got a few more years before a hole appears.

Edit: I would add that I've got my right hand fairly well subconsciously programmed to squeeze the grip on the shifter before twisting it and it's possible that the wear on the gloves is due to hand movement when I'm not trying to twist the shifter.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:21:39 pm by JohnR »

steve216c

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 12:11:32 pm »

You copy this old idea except using the cheap option of a bit of string stitched to your gloves

https://www.catherinetough.co.uk/products/kids-pink-smokey-blue-stripy-lambswool-mittens-on-a-string?variant=31684690608188&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2018-10-28&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyPHio4rf7gIV0N_tCh2shQmEEAQYDSABEgIStfD_BwE

You think I didn't already try that option???  :o

If you use elastic instead of wool or string you can attach to passing vehicles when riding up the hill. And to their frustration those cars who cannot fathom your quick (assisted) uphill progress, the tension in the elastic allows you to over take the cars once you reach the top  ;D ;D
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...