Author Topic: Comfort: fork vs tires  (Read 1941 times)

renma

Comfort: fork vs tires
« on: January 04, 2021, 11:31:20 am »
Hello

After more than 40000km I have the need to change the rims on my Mercury (wall thickness of the rim is 1mm).

In this context, I am thinking of making some further changes and have a question for the experts.
Currently I have "long" rim brakes, a comfortable Thorn Reynolds 853 fork, 32mm Schwalbe tires, no mudgurads.

I would like to mount mudguards. In terms of comfort, which variant do you recommend:
Leave fork and brakes as they are and mount 28mm tires (more than 28mm is hardly possible) or
mount a stiff disc brake fork, plus disc brakes rear and front and 35mm tires ?

Thanks
René

PH

Re: Comfort: fork vs tires
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 01:52:23 pm »
By "long rim brakes" I assume you mean calipers, which I'm also guessing means a drop bar?  I never understood these brakes on a Mercury, I see the calliper mounts have disappeared from the current model frame.
There is a third way and that is to fit a V brake fork.  V brakes work fine with drop bar levers, as long as you use the appropriate lever.  You'd have the option on another 853 fork, or the touring fork.  I have the former and usually run 35mm Supreme tyre, though it currently has a 40mm Almotion, though they both come up a bit smaller on my rim.  55mm mudguards and plenty of clearance.
I don't dislike discs (A mental count - I have 5 disc wheels Vs 3 rim brake) but there is a price and that's most noticeable on the front and can be mitigated with lower pressure tyres, which of course means wider. I haven't had a Thorn Disc fork, though have no reason to suspect it's  radically different to those I have had.  With a disc brake touring bike that took a maximum 32mm tyre, I fond it uncomfortable on anything much worse than smooth tarmac.  On a 29'er with 50mm tyres and a very stiff fork, I have no comfort issues on any surface I'm likely to ride.
One thing missing from your question is the type of riding you do.  I also have a touring bike set up for audax, this has a comfortable 531 fork and canti brakes, although I could fit wider, I'm happy running 28's on this as it rarely goes far beyond the Tarmac.
It seems to me, that you can quite cheaply work out whether a 28 is going to suit you, just get one.  I like the Continental GP4S, but there's plenty of choice.  If it didn't, I'd replace with a V fork, whichever the budget allowed for.  I'd only opt for the disc if I was going to use the maximum tyre size that fits.
If you want to experiment, consider a non Thorn fork, depending on which you have, the size and offset might not be hard to find.

Aleman

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 01:55:29 pm »
For me, it would be to replace the forks with similar that will take a mudguard, wide tyres and retain the V-brakes. My stoker was surprised that I didn't go for suspension forks on our Raven Twin ... I told her that as we were not using disc brakes at the front, the need for such rigid and heavy forks was reduced significantly, plus steel has compliance and resilience so are much more comfortable. I'm really glad after riding it for a few hundred miles that proved to be as true as I expected :D

renma

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 02:46:06 pm »
Thanks PH and Aleman for your helpful answers.

By "long rim brakes" I assume you mean calipers, which I'm also guessing means a drop bar?

Sorry for not being clear. Yes calipers and drop bar.

I never understood these brakes on a Mercury, I see the calliper mounts have disappeared from the current model frame.
There is a third way and that is to fit a V brake fork.  V brakes work fine with drop bar levers, as long as you use the appropriate lever.

V-brake (front) would certainly be a good solution. I just do not like their look. Of course, this is a nonsense argument, especially if you want 35mm tires and mudguards and comfort... Because of the optics I came to the disc variant  (rear is anyway only a disc possible with 35mm tires and mudguards).

One thing missing from your question is the type of riding you do.  I also have a touring bike set up for audax, this has a comfortable 531 fork and canti brakes, although I could fit wider, I'm happy running 28's on this as it rarely goes far beyond the Tarmac.

So far I have used the bike for light tours and and long distances with a maximum of 10kg of luggage (Tubus Airy) and at least 80% tarmac. I want to do some audax with it in the future and use a different bike for touring.

It seems to me, that you can quite cheaply work out whether a 28 is going to suit you, just get one.  I like the Continental GP4S, but there's plenty of choice.  If it didn't, I'd replace with a V fork, whichever the budget allowed for.  I'd only opt for the disc if I was going to use the maximum tyre size that fits.

I know and like the GP4S (32mm).
Since I have to change the rims it might be best to do a test with 28mm GP4S before before I decide and do the change.

PH

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:10:24 pm »
I came to the disc variant  (rear is anyway only a disc possible with 35mm tires and mudguards).
Is it already a disc compatible hub?  If not that can get expensive.
So far I have used the bike for light tours and and long distances with a maximum of 10kg of luggage (Tubus Airy) and at least 80% tarmac. I want to do some audax with it in the future and use a different bike for touring.
In that case you might find 28's OK.  Like I said I'll sometimes Audax on that size even when when using a bike where I could go bigger, depending on the Audax of course, there's a lot of variables.
As at some point soon you're going to need a new rim anyway, be worth doing some research on what's available.  It isn't something I know much about, but there's a trend for wider rims than were traditional.  The theory (It may be more than that, but as I said I'm no expert) is that the wider profile of the tyre adds tot he comfort.  If you want to cover all bases and future proof a bit, there's nothing stopping you having a rim that can be used disc or rim brake, I have a dynamo wheel like that so I can if needed swap it between bikes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:12:02 pm by PH »

renma

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 03:42:20 pm »
Is it already a disc compatible hub?  If not that can get expensive.

Yes disc compatible. Sarah from sjscycles recommended it. I listened to her, although I saw it differently at the time. She was obviously right  ;)

In that case you might find 28's OK.

I now believe that too.

If you want to cover all bases and future proof a bit, there's nothing stopping you having a rim that can be used disc or rim brake, I have a dynamo wheel like that so I can if needed swap it between bikes.

Good point.