Author Topic: Bike flags for safety  (Read 4229 times)

JohnR

Re: Bike flags for safety
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 08:54:28 pm »
Using mixed cycle/walking paths a bell is essential to give plenty warning to pedestrians. A few times when I forgot to use the bell, and even when giving pedestrians a wide berth, some have shouted (probably as they got a fright) as they didn't hear you coming.
And make that a proper ting-a-ling bell and not one of the little ping things. A good warning device is need not only for shared paths but also for pedestirans and horse riders on quieter roads. The challenge is deciding at what distance to give the warning of approach. If too far away and they might not hear (especially if the are using earphones for music or phone chatting) and if too close then they sometimes jump. So it's better to err on the side of being too far away with the opportunity to ring again if there's no reaction or acknowledgement.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 09:09:52 pm »
These look quite cool, hiviz pannier with reflective elements

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bag-panier-hi-vis.html

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:59 pm »
 Re flags: quite agree with the safety points raised here.
However, several years ago I rode abroad with a mixed bunch who all flew their own national flags from the rear of their bikes.
I did not fly one because, at the time, I thought it smacked of some kind of invasion force out to occupy a foreign country. Admittedly there were only 4 or 5 of us, so well outnumbered!
Flags of one colour, I have no problems with.
Just a personal thing. I respect the countries that welcome me and my bike. And I respect their flags.

A personal thing, as I said.
Perhaps I'm showing my imperialist roots?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ourclarioncall

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 11:00:16 pm »
That could actually be a pretty good safety point in some countries - don’t fly national flags or you might make yourself a prey !

I remember being in a place in Morocco and told by a guy called “H” who I think was half English/cockney , half Morrocon to “keep your head down”

Sometimes that’s good advice, keep your Ed Dan mate! Look dull and boring , don’t draw too much attention to yourself

I think I would maybe fly one of the country that I’m in to hopefully attract some favour. They might see it as a Mark of respect and flying my own flag might be seen as a dishonour

Maybe I’d fly my own national flag but alongside their national flag , but put theirs on top !

tyreon

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 08:48:28 am »
Safety: Knowing the roads or route and flow and type of traffic I expect to encompass for me. There are all sortsa variables. Defensive riding: it means whatever I feel it to be when I feel it to be.

A constant red rear light seems sensible: tho I dont use one(unless urban cycling)

Always a mirror(tho,again,I dont use one for urban cycling.

OT but related: Gbs population up from 55 million to 70 million puts more vehicles on its roads. Lottsa new houses being built hereabouts with existing roads being pressured to take more and more cars and vehicles = congestion,anger,short cuts and frustrated drivers. Its sorta getting crowded folkes. England isnt France...or Spain  ;)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 11:40:05 am »
That could actually be a pretty good safety point in some countries - don’t fly national flags or you might make yourself a prey !

Yes indeed. Hate to say it but at the time I was abroad there was stuff going on that made me ashamed to be British. Or rather English! What a sad state of affairs.

Maybe I’d fly my own national flag but alongside their national flag , but put theirs on top !

I believe there is a flag etiquette. My son in NYC  has a flag pole in his front yard and has explored this code. As with most things there are various rules and interpretations so he has held off flying old glory and the Saltire together for fear of offending someone.

I remember being in a place in Morocco and told by a guy called “H” who I think was half English/cockney , half Morrocon to “keep your head down”

Sometimes that’s good advice, keep your Ed Dan mate! Look dull and boring , don’t draw too much attention to yourself

Excellent advice.
Reminds me of that line from a Bob Dylan song:
Don't get up gentlemen, I'm only passing through.

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink