Community > Cycle Tours

A short Scottish tour

<< < (6/6)

fram:

--- Quote from: StillOld on September 07, 2020, 08:00:58 pm ---Lovely read Matt...having cancelled our tour this year as we realised everybody was travelling to Scotland to do the NC500  ::) post lockdown.. (worst PR decision ever made by the Scottish Tourist Board was to name that route).....I needed the inspiration to plan for next year.   We would have taken in everything from Kyle of Lochalsh northwards to Durness and back cross country and although we use mostly campsites we do try to wild camp when possible. I think I remember that tower beyond Gairloch but my pitch was near the top of the climb out of Dundonell...overlooking the river on a grassy knoll.

That stretch from Lochalsh to Ullapooll is beautiful ..... thanks for travelling it and writing about it.

--- End quote ---

The NC500 was started by "The North Highland Initiative" which was set up by the "HRH, Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay".  It's been ill-thought out and the local infrastructure has been swamped.  I spent a day on it last month as part of a longer cycle camping trip and encountered the worst driving and road conditions I've experienced for some time.  I live in Highland.

Whatever else folk might charge them with, naming the NC500 is not the fault of the Scottish Tourist Board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version