Community > Tandem Talk

MK3 Raven Twin chain tensioning

(1/3) > >>

HugoC:
Hi,

I received my new MK3 Raven Twin last year and have accumulated just over 3600 kms on mainly smooth paved roads. I've had to adjust the Eccentric Bottom Bracket on a couple of occasions to take up a little bit of slack on the drive chain, and made accompanying adjustments to the timing chain. I've still got plenty of scope for tightening the drive chain but the timing chain is now at its maximum stretch (i.e., the thick part of the Eccentric Bottom Bracket is just about at the 3 o'clock position, and the chain does look a little slack). I've been advised by Thorn that the next step will be to remove a link from the timing chain, and start again. Although this is not a big job it is not something I anticipated having to contemplate having just completed a mere 3600kms on the tandem. Has any one had a similar experience with their MK3 Raven Twin chains?

Thanks & Regards

HugoC

Mike Ayling:
Our Raven Twin is a 2012 moodel and it got to a stage where I had to replace the timing chain which required two standard chains to get the required  length. Certainly just removing a link would be cheaper. I used two 8 speed chains which were not too expensive.

Mike

HugoC:
Thanks for the reply Mike.

For me, having to contemplate removing a link from the timing chain after so few accumulated miles does not reflect well on the design of the bike. Never mind, it's not a huge task in itself and I expect my chain should not need replacing for a good while after shortening. Time will tell.....

ZeroBike:
I dont even know what the timing chain is, I thought these things direct drive, job done.

However have a read of this

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=626.0

I think chain wear is no better than a derailer .. which kind of makes sense... its in constant contact in either system... its the rest of the parts that live longer on a hub geared bike.. or so Im led to believe lol

HugoC:
Just to close this one - I got myself a chain breaker as suggested by Thorn, took out a link & was able to reconnect the chain, adjust the eccentric BB & fit the chain back onto the bike. Works like a dream. Job done!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version