Technical > Transmission

_Velonews_ German test of 11-sp chains

<< < (2/4) > >>

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: macspud on February 22, 2020, 09:34:08 pm ---Are these cheap KMC Z8S 8 Speed Chains any good?
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-z8s-8-speed-chain-114-links-kmcz51/

--- End quote ---

Well-reputed chain, especially with MTBers, in the middle of the Z range. Half-nickled, which if you operate a Chainglider means that at full price you're paying for protection you don't need; a hefty discount makes the extras free. In any event, in KMC chains you buy what you can get -- even big dealers don't offer the whole range. A lesser chain even if you could get it, will cost more than the Z51 currently on sale. I had a Z chain several years ago and it was super long-lasting. The only reason I switched to the KMC X8-93 was that on a sale if you bought three it worked out cheaper than the Z; not the case currently. The last time I made a feature comparison, the X8 series was superior only in having bullet-head riveting, but I'm not convinced that it will go all that much further, never mind 2.5 times as far, so at the current price of £18 and change the X8 cannot be recommended over your bargain Z51 discovery.

Short answer: Go for it, and buy a spare too.

PH:
Thanks for the link Dan, I've had a scan through it and may go back and have a proper read.  Chain wear isn't a particular bother to me. my one derailleur bike sees so few miles the chain lasts years and I run the chains on my IGH bikes to death.  Or till I'm going on a tour and want to set out with fresh kit.  I always turn/replace the sprocket with a new chain, and the chainring if it looks like it needs it, which is usually on the second chain. I'd like to do a better job of comparing chains, but it'd take too many years and I'm not always good at keeping records.  I rarely do any more than wipe and lube, though I have one of those chain scrubbing gizmos somewhere.  I don't think I've ever got less than 5,000 miles out of any chain and usually at least double that.  I read that all but the lowest and highest KMC chains have the same pin material, and as that's the bit that wears unless you're buying the best or cheapest you may as well just choose whichever one you fancy.
I note that KMC also do a 1/8" Rohloff sprocket, if I can find a compatible chainring, I might give one a go next time I'm replacing stuff.

macspud:

--- Quote from: Andre Jute on February 22, 2020, 10:55:39 pm ---Short answer: Go for it, and buy a spare too.

--- End quote ---

Done, I bought 3 to get free postage.  :)

Now, is there much difference between the MissingLink options apart from pin size? Are the KMC 6/7/8 Speed MissingLink EPT Silver 7.3mm that SJSC sells the best option? 

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: macspud on February 24, 2020, 11:22:25 pm ---Now, is there much difference between the MissingLink options apart from pin size? Are the KMC 6/7/8 Speed MissingLink EPT Silver 7.3mm that SJSC sells the best option?
--- End quote ---

From the page you linked the pin length is 7.3mm. That's the important datum.

Whether you need the silvered link depends how your run the chain: inside a Chainglider silvering isn't strictly necessary but still desirable because the tolerances are small and if you're trying to work on the chain beside the road on a cold wet night far from the supposedly unnecessary quick-link pliers (one to take the things off, one to put them on, grgrgrgramssssss), the silvering makes it a bit easier. In any event, a quick glance at SJS's page shows only the one link of the right pin length, so you have to buy what you can get.

KMC gives you a quick link in the chain pack, or at least they always have when I bought their chains; they don't like you messing around with their pinheads (I always want to say that...). The normal thing is to buy spares at the same time as you buy chains.

PH:

--- Quote from: Andre Jute on February 25, 2020, 08:47:07 am ---KMC gives you a quick link in the chain pack, or at least they always have when I bought their chains; they don't like you messing around with their pinheads (I always want to say that...). The normal thing is to buy spares at the same time as you buy chains.

--- End quote ---
I've always just used the link that comes with the chain, I've never seen any reason not to.  Neither have I ever had need of a spare, I have one in with my tools, kept from an old chain.
To remove I use the double it over and give it a tap method, has always worked for me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version