Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

rim change

(1/2) > >>

jcabuckley:
hi guys, going to get my wheels re-built on my RT after the winter, currently i have the stock original sun cr18 rims and i can say i was not overly impressed with them. i've mostly used mavic in the past and been relatively pleased with them. Ideally i would like a hard-coated grey or black rim as these dont show up the dirt and rohloff splatter. i do loaded touring rarely go off-road and commute but dont require a bomb-proof overly-heavy solution, what do you suggest (not too pricey please!). thanks.......

jawj:
Yo,

If you don't fancy taking the plunge and trying out those fancy newish tungsten carbide ones from SJSC then I'd go for good old Mavic EX721s (D521 in old speak) with the grey CD coating.

Some people complain about cracks around the eyelets or even eyelets pulling out of the rim but I've used lots of these rims and I build wheels very tight (and occasionally in funky snow flake patterns...) and have never had a problem.

They don't go out of true if built properly as they start life VERY straight, unlike some rims... I tend to wear mine out in a year as I commute in London which is very stop-start and cruel on rims. If you cycle mainly on the open road (or crap on everyone and don't stop at red lights, grrrrr... [:(!]) then they'll probably last forever!

jcabuckley:
raid i am one of those dont stop at red light people, sorry! but i'll take your advice an take a look at these fancy ones but probably stick to the mavics for purely financial reasons! cheers

john28july:
quote:Originally posted by jcabuckley

raid i am one of those dont stop at red light people, sorry! but i'll take your advice an take a look at these fancy ones but probably stick to the mavics for purely financial reasons! cheers

I certainly hope that one day you pass in front of me when I am driving my car.
John.

jcabuckley:
get a grip!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version