Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

ExBox reassembly problem...

<< < (2/3) > >>

rafiki:
Thanks Mikeg. Much appreciated.Yes, I have watched the Rohloff video several times this afternoon looking for clues. I hadn't thought of the twist shifter causing the problem. I'll check that in the morning too. The cables didn't seem tight when I disassembled the box, it was the Thorn original build so, as you say, unlikely but I'll bear your suggestion in mind.

rualexander:
Check you have wound the cables onto the pulley correctly.

Tigerbiten:
Once you have the ex-box to that point, try and give it a good pull away from the shifter while holding the ends of the outers.
That will tighten up all the inner cables in the outer/shifter.
If you cannot see anything obviously wrong and you don't get any more slack then the inners are probably cut short.
Being slightly disabled I do that all the time and I tend to use the short inners as guides for the new ones.
My working average is close to 3 inners per twin cable change.

Luck ..........  ;D

rafiki:
I am very grateful to everyone for their helpful tips and advice.

I followed all your suggestions, some I had already tried but I tried them again but still no joy. It was still short. with the pulley in place cable adjusters wouldn't fit.

I had intended to do a complete reinstall in the Spring because gear changing had become mushy and the 9 year old twist shifter was due for replacement. I only opened the ex box after reading here of those who fill the box with grease. I thought it might help my old system but I made more work! [If it ain't broke don't fix it.]

I had most of the shifting parts at home so I made an express order to SJS for the bit I was needing and replaced it all today. Step by step with the YouTube videos and it was done. No issues with fitting into the ex box this time. Only a stupid mistake of mine not tightening enough one 2 mm grub screw in the pulley and the cable pulled free - twice! Fortunately there was no fraying so I could re-insert it. I hadn't forgotten Dan's super super-glue tip but the bottle I had was old and solid when I looked.

I have been for a short ride and the difference in gear changing is astounding! I didn't have much time and I am still a bit wary of pulling the cable free again so I shall do my next few morning long rides on the Dawes and keep testing the Sterling in the afternoons for a few days.

On reflection the previous install must have been just a bit too short. I recall there was no ajuustment available on the shifters, they were tight to the box and the twist shifter had no play. When I removed the original pulley it did seem quite tight in the box when I removed it. My new install has plenty of adjustment available and it slipped into the box easily.

Thank you all once again.

mickeg:
Is the message here to cut the cables an extra 8 to 10 mm longer than specified to make sure they fit?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version