Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Missing a gear change?

<< < (2/4) > >>

sd:

--- Quote from: geocycle on November 22, 2018, 06:37:21 pm ---So you just changed a tyre and didn’t take the cover plate off? Have you an exbox or internal cabling?

--- End quote ---
Not sure what an ebox is thought they were called click box? Either way neither of my present bikes have one. I disconnect via the bayonet fittings.

sd:

--- Quote from: in4 on November 22, 2018, 06:45:41 pm ---Are you not supposed to put the hub into gear 14 before removing the wheel?

--- End quote ---
Damn! Thought it was either 1 or 14. That may have been it.

David Simpson:
Assuming that you are using an external gear mechanism (exbox) . . .

As I understand it, you can put it into any gear that you want, provided that both the shifter and the hub are in the same gear when you mate up the exbox with the hub. The problem is that you can accidentally change gears on the shifter or hub while they are separated. The solution to this problem is to put them both into the same gear before mating them up. It is easy to see what gear the shifter is in, but it is difficult to see what gear the hub is in -- except for two gears: 1 and 14. These gears are easy to know because they are at the ends of the range. That's why they recommend putting it into gear 1 or 14 before you separate it.

- DaveS

rualexander:

--- Quote from: David Simpson on November 22, 2018, 08:14:54 pm ---Assuming that you are using an external gear mechanism (exbox) . . .

--- End quote ---

sd has mentioned bayonet fittings so obviously has an internal gear mech Rohloff.
Therefore it shouldn't really matter too much which gear the hub is in when disconnecting the cables.
But in this case something has gone amiss.
So, sd, disconnect the bayonet fittings and pull one  hub cable all the way out until it stops, then gradually pull the other one all the way out and you should feel the 13 clicks as you go.
This will confirm that all is working ok at the hub end.
Also check your shifter rotates freely when pulling the shifter cables by hand and that the shifter rotates across the full range of 14 index numbers .
Reconnect your bayonet connectors and check again how many gears you are getting.
If its still only 13 (12 clicks), then I would guess a cable tension issue.
Try adjusting the cable tension adjusters a small amount either way and see if that sorts it.

sd:

--- Quote from: rualexander on November 22, 2018, 09:41:22 pm ---
--- Quote from: David Simpson on November 22, 2018, 08:14:54 pm ---Assuming that you are using an external gear mechanism (exbox) . . .

--- End quote ---

sd has mentioned bayonet fittings so obviously has an internal gear mech Rohloff.
Therefore it shouldn't really matter too much which gear the hub is in when disconnecting the cables.
But in this case something has gone amiss.
So, sd, disconnect the bayonet fittings and pull one  hub cable all the way out until it stops, then gradually pull the other one all the way out and you should feel the 13 clicks as you go.
This will confirm that all is working ok at the hub end.
Also check your shifter rotates freely when pulling the shifter cables by hand and that the shifter rotates across the full range of 14 index numbers .
Reconnect your bayonet connectors and check again how many gears you are getting.
If its still only 13 (12 clicks), then I would guess a cable tension issue.
Try adjusting the cable tension adjusters a small amount either way and see if that sorts it.

--- End quote ---
Sounds good to me. Thanks I will get back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version