Community > Non-Thorn Related

New Wheel build - Rim tape advice needed.

<< < (2/3) > >>

jags:
good stuff ride safe Fred theres a great spell of weather on the way  ;)

Matt2matt2002:
I've never fitted new rim tape to a wheel.
How does it attach?

mickeg:
The adhesive tape that I used sticks on to the rim. 

The plastic ones that  I used were essentially a plastic hoop, you slipped it over the side of the rim and it stayed in place on the rim because it was slightly smaller.  You had to buy this type for your correct wheel size.

I never looked for a youtube video on that but there might be a few if I was not clear. 

Fred A-M:
The SJS rim plastic tape is pretty easy to apply and seems fine - glad I got the wheel rebuilt Mick as despite being the Andra being a narrower rim (19 v 22.5 for the CR18), I had to loosen brakes by at least a couple of mm which suggests to me that the CR-18 was very very worn indeed.   SJS kindly supplied some spoke spares with the wheel, so if another spoke goes, I'll give it a go at repairing next time!   

mickeg:

--- Quote from: Fred A-M on September 26, 2018, 08:02:56 pm ---...  SJS kindly supplied some spoke spares with the wheel, so if another spoke goes, I'll give it a go at repairing next time!

--- End quote ---

I usually store my spare spokes in my seatpost, use a wine cork to hold them in.  On one of my 700c bikes the spokes were a bit too long and I had to drill a couple holes half way through my cork to get them to fit in the seatpost.  The cork dried out and got looser, I wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the cork to make it fit tighter in the seatpost.

A lot of people carry their spare spokes in a pannier on a bike tour, but I use my Ortliebs on three different bikes that all use different length spokes, so I prefer to carry my spares on the bike instead.

I use drop bars on my touring bikes.  If you use flat bars, I have heard that some people put their spare spokes in the handlebars.

Sometimes you have to buy several different wine corks to find one that will fit.  No problem, you might enjoy the time spent while looking for the perfect cork.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version