Community > Non-Thorn Related

New Wheel build - Rim tape advice needed.

<< < (3/3)

John Saxby:
On tour, I always carry one or two Fiber Fix kevlar/aramid spokes.  I've had to use the repair kit just once -- a spoke was broken in ttransit when my bike was shipped back to Canada from the Netherlands a few years ago.  I repaired the spoke in my workshop, just to see how it worked.  Dead simple, and effective.  Then I rolled it back up again, installed a regular spoke, and haven't had a problem since.  (Obviously, the kit has preventive powers as well.)

You can still research wine corks if you carry a FiberFix kit, of course.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop:
We use these on Andra 30 https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/sjsc-reinforce-nylon-rim-tape-26-559-x-22-mm-red/ they are thick enough that the odd spoke hole burr wont protrude.

macspud:

--- Quote from: Fred A-M on September 26, 2018, 08:02:56 pm ---The SJS rim plastic tape is pretty easy to apply and seems fine - glad I got the wheel rebuilt Mick as despite being the Andra being a narrower rim (19 v 22.5 for the CR18), I had to loosen brakes by at least a couple of mm which suggests to me that the CR-18 was very very worn indeed.   SJS kindly supplied some spoke spares with the wheel, so if another spoke goes, I'll give it a go at repairing next time!

--- End quote ---

The Andra 30 is 25mm across the braking surfaces where as the CR18 is 22.5mm across the braking surfaces, so maybe not quite as worn as you thought. 

Fred A-M:

[/quote]

The Andra 30 is 25mm across the braking surfaces where as the CR18 is 22.5mm across the braking surfaces, so maybe not quite as worn as you thought.
[/quote]

Thanks for the illustrations - I find the whole sizing thing a little confusing as they give a contradictory impression.  As I said I had to loosen the brakes by at least a couple of mm but probably much more in reality.  Certainly the rear CR18 was much more worn than the front one, and with it having around 8,000 miles wear, I could visibly see see where the brake pads had worn the rim down in stark contrast to the front one which still looks absolutely fine.  Possibly being a little over cautious, but I'd rather that than have a rim failure!   

macspud:
Yes, I'm sure it'd be well worn, just maybe not as scarily as it at first seemed. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version