Technical > General Technical

They should give a torque wrench away with a Rohloff hub gearbox

<< < (2/4) > >>

High Moors Drifter:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on August 20, 2018, 07:41:50 am ---
Twist shifter clamp torque calls for lightly greasing the mounting screws and then torquing them to 1Nm/8in.lbs. (page 73 in the PDF at the link above).

Best,

Dan.

--- End quote ---

Dan.

I’ve a problem with a broken wave twistshifter clamp (see recent post elsewhere on forum). I’ve used the link and note the twist shifter shown is the original which differs from the clamp fixing used on the wave shifter. If I have to replace the shifter it seems as though the old style might be more robust.

Id

Danneaux:
Hi Id!

Yes, the Rohloff grip-shifter covers have changed over time, but the basic clamp design seems to be the same. The first was a triangular design, then the more smoothly rounded one, and then the latest wave design. I upgraded mine from the round style to the wave style by just changing the cover...the mounting bracket and cable pulley beneath remained the same.

I see the complete old-style triangular replacement shifter runs about 49GBP at SJS Cycles here: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/rohloff-14-speed-handlebar-twistshifter-for-speedhub-50014-8200/?geoc=US

The latest "wave" style complete shifter is about 70GBP here: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/rohloff-14speed-handlebar-twistshifter-light-for-speedhub-50014-wave-design-8206/?geoc=US

I didn't see a replacement clamp or mount set on the SJS Cycles site, but I'm guessing a quick email to them would turn one up if available or would possibly allow placing an order, as they have an incredibly deep inventory or access to things other shops don't.

The clamp torque of 1Nm/8in.lbs is really low...it wouldn't take much to exceed it. It is possible the clamp bolt was overtightened at some point or perhaps was not sitting square on the handlebar and so was drawn up at an angle... there could have been a flaw that served as a stress riser in the billet the clamp was milled from. It can happen.

I sure hope you can get it sorted soon so you can fully enjoy the bike again, Id. Please let us know how you come out.

All the best,

Dan.

EDIT: Just saw your update here: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13065.msg97954;boardseen#new I hope you can get by with an inexpensive repair.  :)

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on August 20, 2018, 07:41:50 am ---The Rohloff manual has a full listing of torque values in the text for common user-serviceable items (as on page 81-82 for the EX shift-box) and also on page 124 of this download:
https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Manual_2017_11_web_En.pdf

Twist shifter clamp torque calls for lightly greasing the mounting screws and then torquing them to 1Nm/8in.lbs. (page 73 in the PDF at the link above).
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Dan. Everyone else may want to check how low the Rohloff tightening regime is. The SON hub dynamo too. Getting too enthusiastic with the skewers can lead to unwanted results.

But even for Rohloff the shifter clamp fastener torque of 1Nm is insanely low. That's just finger tight on a greased fastener and maybe half a turn with a wrench! It might be smart to use the hex key in a screwdriver or to hold the flipover arm of a multitool vertically above the screw to avoid over-torqueing.

All the same, I don't carry a torque wrench with me on a steel bike. What I do, if rarely occasion arises to loosen the wheel nuts on the road, is to refasten them as sensitively as I can manage and trust to the short moment-arm of the small on-bike tool not to allow over tightening, and at home to loosen the nut again and refasten it with the torque wrench. If I rode a carbon bike, I would probably carry a lightweight preset single measurement torque wrench with me, like those on the SJS page I referred to above.

Mike Ayling:

--- Quote from: John Saxby on August 20, 2018, 02:41:08 pm ---+1 for the BBB wrench, Andre (which I bought on your recommendation.)

One item to add to the sockets which come with the BBB, however, is a 1/4 drive 15 mm socket for the EBB fixing bolts on a Thorn.

--- End quote ---

Yes I also upgraded my set to include the 15mil socket for the EBB bolts. About 12nm from memory.

OK Bazaars brings back memories of my time growing up in Sarf Efrica.

Mike

Andre Jute:
Thanks for the addition of EBB holding screws socket, John.

--- Quote from: John Saxby on August 20, 2018, 02:41:08 pm ---...the whole thing is close to indestructible, and has a set of sockets from 10 mm up to 27 (!!)
--- End quote ---

I never throw out a working tool. I have an old Whitworth spanner, a huge thing useful when I turned old Bentleys into sportscars. It's rejuvenated and living big as the operator of my Rohloff sprocket dismounting tool, which it fits precisely. I hate to think what a new spanner of that size and quality would cost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version