Technical > Transmission

Preparing new chain for use.

<< < (2/2)

rafiki:
Thank you all for your insights and encouragement. Much appreciated.

John Saxby:
Brian, I don't use a whole lot of chain lube, 'cos on my Raven I have a Chainglider, but on my derailleur bikes I've had good luck with Squirt lube.  This is a South African product, and my reasoning is that Soufafricans know lots about dry'n'dusty conditions.

(No advice on lube to help a chain during/after a high-veld thunderstorm, 'cept to avoid them at all costs -- the storms, that is.)

I think that Dan would likely suggest Purple Extreme for use in Oregon's dry'n'dusty terrain, but I've had trouble finding that lube in Eastern Ontario, where I live.

Hope that's helpful,  John

rafiki:
Very helpful, John. Thank you. In my part of Spain we are very dry and very dusty plus extremely hot. 'll check out the lubes you mention.

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---I think that Dan would likely suggest Purple Extreme for use in Oregon's dry'n'dusty terrain, but I've had trouble finding that lube in Eastern Ontario, where I live.
--- End quote ---
Yes indeed, I have found Purple Extreme does work well in dry, dusty conditions and does not seem to react with the alkali dust I often encounter on my tours of America's Great Basin deserts.

The lube I choose depends on the bike/drivetrain and conditions used. In really sustained wet conditions, I will go for a mix of lubes I have found works well for me, usually a mix of Tri-Flow and Phil Tenacious Oil on some of my rando bikes if it is to be a 300km+ day ride in heavy wet. The main thing there is to keep the lube on the chain without washout. I usually do a clean immediately after such rides and relube with something else that is lighter and cleaner. Of course, this mix would be completely inappropriate in the dry as it would serve as a dust magnet.

I think the important thing with exposed chains is to keep them well lubed and as clean as possible. I asked my sister for an old mascara brush and have it tucked in my kit. Works a treat for quickly flossing grit from between the links after a day's desert transit. After the grit is removed I relube, sometimes daily sometimes not. Depends on conditions and distance.

Best,

Dan.

rafiki:
Thanks, Dan. Great tip the mascara brush!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version