Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Rough friction Feeling

<< < (2/7) > >>

lestat_12345:
I felt friction and a slight vibration through the soles of my cycling shoes in certain gears when I first got my rohloff. Had it for about a year now and those issues have now gone. Your rohloff issues are normal and will dissipate given time.

lestat_12345:
I also bought a second hand rohloff which is about 11 years old. I would say that this operates a lot more quietly and smoothly than my newer model. Obviously the newer one needs to be used a lot more. I would just try to forget about the noise/friction and just enjoy the rohloff experience. Once you have a rohloff you'll never go back to normal gears again. You may even like the rohloff that much you'll buy another 😀

mickeg:

--- Quote from: lestat_12345 on July 25, 2018, 07:37:24 pm ---... Once you have a rohloff you'll never go back to normal gears again. ...

--- End quote ---

On that I disagree.  I have two derailleur touring bikes, one derailleur rando (audax) bike, and a couple other bikes with derailleurs that get occasional use.

I have been riding my Nomad with Rohloff since I built it up 5 years ago.  But my last two tours were on derailleur bikes.  And my next tour will probably be on the Rohloff bike.

Derailleurs and the Rohloff each have their own sets of pros and cons, I try to use what I think will be best for a particular task or ride or trip or tour or whatever.

But if all the riding you do is in your opinion best done with a Rohloff, I will not argue on that.  Everyone has preferences.

lestat_12345:

--- Quote ---... Once you have a rohloff you'll never go back to normal gears again. ...
--- End quote ---

I accept my comment above is based on personal preference but I'm sure there are others out there that will feel the same. The thought of going back to a derailleur bike fills me with a sense of dread. That's why I ended up buying a second rohloff, so I could build up my old Sherpa frame and have a spare bike just in case. My bike is my only mode of transport. I can drive but choose not to.

StuntPilot:
As John hinted at above - is your chain 'relaxed'. The only time I have come across any real noise or vibration through the drive train was when I had the chain too tight. Rohloff run well with a slightly loose chain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version