Community > Non-Thorn Related

Bad news for prospective electric bike owners

<< < (3/3)

Bill:

--- Quote from: mickeg on July 21, 2018, 11:32:18 pm ---
--- Quote from: Bill on July 21, 2018, 06:41:38 pm ---...
We do have banks here, and they even can do foreign exchange. Imagine that!

--- End quote ---

I hope your banks are better at currency conversions than some of the banks around here.  I have had banks here tell me that they do not charge any fees for currency conversions, but when you make a conversion you find that they charged you about 10 to 12 percent by giving you a terrible currency conversion rate.

--- End quote ---

I get a better rate than I do by credit card. Most credit cards here add 2.5% for foreign currency conversion. I think US credit cards give you a better deal.

mickeg:
Apologies for being so far off topic here.

--- Quote from: Bill on July 22, 2018, 05:28:17 am ---
--- Quote from: mickeg on July 21, 2018, 11:32:18 pm ---
--- Quote from: Bill on July 21, 2018, 06:41:38 pm ---...
We do have banks here, and they even can do foreign exchange. Imagine that!

--- End quote ---

I hope your banks are better at currency conversions than some of the banks around here.  I have had banks here tell me that they do not charge any fees for currency conversions, but when you make a conversion you find that they charged you about 10 to 12 percent by giving you a terrible currency conversion rate.

--- End quote ---

I get a better rate than I do by credit card. Most credit cards here add 2.5% for foreign currency conversion. I think US credit cards give you a better deal.

--- End quote ---

Most USA credit cards charge 3 percent for currency conversions.  Some cards that are more oriented towards travel that have an annual fee might waive the currency charges.  I have one card that only charges 1 percent for currency conversions, no annual fee, I got that card specifically for a month long trip in Europe because my other cards charged 3 percent.  I used to have an airline branded card that waived the currency charges but the annual fee was more than I wanted to pay so I dropped that card.

When I have gone to Europe I often got a lot of cash out of ATM machines with a debit card, that card sometimes charged about 1 percent, sometimes no charge.

Now that almost all USA cards have a chip in them, at least we are half way to conforming with standards set by the rest of the world, but our cards are almost always chip and signature, not chip and pin cards.  So we are not completely in conformance with rest of world standards.

Bill:
This is still way off topic, but it inspired me to find a credit card with 0% foreign transaction fee and no annual fee.
Thanks!

John Saxby:
Not so far off-topic, Bill:  we've all got to find ways of dealing with fluctuating (mostly rising) costs, whimsical (that's the generous word) policy decisions, etc., etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version